Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed 0.06 Mbps - Connection keeps dropping. Ticket 64558643

JohnRG
Grafter

Download speed 0.06 Mbps - Connection keeps dropping. Ticket 64558643

Hello everybody, this is my first post.
I've been with Plusnet since June 2011 and mostly have had a good service with download speeds of around 2.85 Mbps.
For the last month or so I have had connection problems, with very low download speeds - so low that when I'm having problems the BTW speedchecker will not even download.
I've made numerous calls to Plusnet and they are always polite and helpful but my problem remains unsolved.
I've connected my router to the test socket with a new filter (tried 2 new filters) and after they suggested it might be my router, I have bought a lovely shiny new one (TP Link  TD-W8968) which has made no difference (but it does look good even when my internet doesn't work)
My problem is intermittent, and sometimes I can connect, as now.
I have attached a few pics...  any ideas and advice on what I can do?  Plusnet have said it should be fixed by Tuesday....  but they have said similar things before.....
I will be grateful for any help and advice
Thanks
John
32 REPLIES 32
Velocity
Grafter

Re: Download speed 0.06 Mbps - Connection keeps dropping

hop over to thinkbroadband & post your info there - someone probably roberto will try to analyze your problem
Estragon
Rising Star

Please run a BT Performance Test. Note down the results if you like, but the important thing is to go for the Further Diagnostics at the bottom of the results page.  The copy/paste everything inside the two text boxes of results. We don't need the graphics or blurb.
Also check your Current line speed in your Member Centre >>  My Account >> High-speed broadband.
There is nothing obviously wrong with your stats that you posted, so it could be something these show up.
JohnRG
Grafter

Thanks Estragon and Velocity.
Velocity, I went onto ThinkBroadband, but as they say they are not a general support board and its not clear where to post for help.
Estragon, I have tried the BTWholesale speedchecker. Sometimes I can connect as now - I just got a download speed of 2.19. upload of 0.81, and a ping of 47.50
As always these past few weeks, thats as far as I can go. When I try the Further Diagnostics, it asks for my phone number which I input, and it flashes a confirm message which  I click on, then it goes to the furthertesting tab and it then goes dead, and a few seconds later I get a message that IE cannot display this page.
Mostly these past few weeks, when I open IE it connects to Google, my home page, and will find what I'm looking for, but after surfing a few pages it goes dead.
Rebooting mostly helps for a while, and I have each time got a different gateway, all of which work for a while.
Directly inputting the BBC 212.58.244.66 works but not when the service goes dead.
I changed the dns to Google (8 8 8 8 , 8 8 4 4) but that made no difference
And I have connected to the adsl master socket test socket with two new filters, new cables to the router, and now a new router - all to no avail.
And the same problem happens with both my wired and wireless computers/laptops.
I thought my signal to noise levels were very low, but I don't know what they should be.
And all was fine until 3 or 4 weeks ago
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Download speed 0.06 Mbps - Connection keeps dropping. Ticket 64558643

What is happening between now and Tuesday when Plusnet have told you the problem will be fixed?
I assume you are not expecting an engineer visit in which case it looks like BT might be adding additional capacity or replacing faulty hardware in the exchange.
David
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: JohnRG
Thanks Estragon and Velocity.
Velocity, I went onto ThinkBroadband, but as they say they are not a general support board and its not clear where to post for help

That's because he meant the thinkbroadband forums, not the main site.  (The forums are also linked in the menu down the left hand side of the tbb Home Page).
It may be worth posting over there, but in the General Broadband Chatter forum, not the Plusnet one. The reason for that being most Plusnet users over there also come here.
RobertoS would ask for the same info as I did, but if you post a shortened version of your opening post and the problem with the BT Wholesale tester, you might find someone in that General Chatter forum who has more ideas.
Try the test occasionally - we could do with knowing what those result boxes say. The download speed you got though doesn't look too bad, and your Current Rate in the stats you posted looks reasonable. But for now, please could you try to find that Current line speed figure in your Plusnet Member Centre? I expect that to be OK as well though.
Are you testing speeds wired or wireless?
JohnRG
Grafter

Plusnet  tester  download  2482
                         upload         620
That's because it's connecting at the moment. It might stay like this for a minute or an hour, but sooner or later my connection will hang.
Used to get 2800 downstream regularly before all this started - I think they have throttled me to see if that helps.

My Router says current rate (Kbps) upstream  1068 (max 1064 ) and current downstream 3070 (max 5668)
SNR Margin (dB) up 5.8, down 6.1
Line attenuation (dB)  31.2 up,  56 down
Modified: When I tried to modify this post to say  "same thing wired or wireless"  it lost connection when I clicked on the save button...... so I've tried to modify it again
see attached pics
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Can you connect to your router when you cannot connect to the internet?
Is your router losing sync or dropping the PPP session when you cannot connect to the internet?  My Netgear router resets the "Up time" clock in either event but different routers behave differently.  Ideally there should be an event log which records dropped sessions or connections.
JohnRG
Grafter

Yes, I can connect to the router when the internet is down.
When down, the fault it reports is     -   ppp0 LCP down  -  .
Plusnet have actually deleted my ticket !!!  Is this the way they deal with problems?  Bless!!! I don't know whom to report them to. Fortunately I have "snipped" (thank you Windows 7) references to the lost ticket.
Internet seems to be randomly working this morning. I wonder how long it will be before it drops again.
Edit: My ticket wasn't deleted - it fell off the list of open tickets on my account.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Has the new router helped at all? Checking your connection log still shows drops, I'd recommend updating the ticket with that information so our faults team can progress this for you.
JohnRG
Grafter

Hello Matt
Initially when I connected the new router (Saturday 2nd afternoon) it made no difference, and I had the same problem all of Sunday, so I assume it was nothing to do with the router.
Today I seem to be able to connect.
Matt - I was specifically advised by one of the Plusnet staff during one of my phone calls not to update my ticket as updating and adding info puts me back down to the bottom of the pile. Its supposed to be getting sorted by tomorrow, and if I update the ticket it will probably take another 72 hours so I'm not updating the ticket. You have a funny system!
My new router does have an event log and it says   " ppp0 LCP down "  occasionally. I have no idea what this means.
When I clicked on post below it returned an error saying my session timed out so I am reposting this
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: JohnRG
When I clicked on post below it returned an error saying my session timed out so I am reposting this
Happens a lot to me. Clicking the browser back arrow lets you re-click the Post button and it usually works then. Sometimes it can take three goes.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi JohnRG,
See what you're saying about the ticket, but the issue is more when customers are updating the tickets daily asking what's happening with the fault - that way the ticket will never leave the back of the queue.
Trouble is, unless you want to call in with updates the only way you can pass info regarding the fault to our team is to add it to the ticket - you should be fine if it's just done once when the ticket is returned to you.
JohnRG
Grafter

Hi Matt/Chris
My broadband has been stable for some days now. You recall I put in a new modem/router on the 2nd. For two days I had the same problems as with the old router, then things improved. (Should I put my old moden/router back?)
Have you changed me from 20CN to 21CN?
I used to get speeds of 2.8 up before, now I'm stuck on 2.5.
I was using the test socket until about 19.30 this evening when I put back the faceplate and reconnected as usual. Things seem to be OK
Can you please
a) attach one of those nice graphs that are on my above ticket  - it would be nice to know what it was showing these past few days before the engineer visit tomorrow
b) can you PLEASE tell me what you have done (eg 20 to 21) to stabilise my line as my fantasy is that the exchange flooded in all the wet weather and you sent Mrs Brown to dry out the terminals with her (his) hair dryer......

Many thanks
John

and do I still need the engineer?

JohnRG
Grafter

Spoke too soon!
Upload this morning is 0.87.........................
awaiting the engineer.....