Did you mean: 

Poor / slow wi-fi... this may be why.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Poor / slow wi-fi... this may be why.

From another Forum...
(Not my post)
Warning for Wireless users
Please remember to log into your hub and change the channel your router is on.
Now most people who already know this will have done it because of other routers set the channel 11.
However I have noticed that a council installed device for measuring my energy supply was interfering with my router set to CH13.
If you have slow wireless it could be due to these types of household wireless devices.

Recommending you use this...
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

I've just checked my w-fi with iStumbler for mac, no Channel 13, I don't ever recall seeing one.
My water meter, probably on demand, uses wi-fi to send a meter reading without entry to the premises.

(There is another  fairly new PlusNet user nearby though !!!)

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Poor / slow wi-fi... this may be why.

Having seen the above figures for the Channel One I was on, and the recommendation to use Channel Ten, and no-one else was on it, I've changed Router setting to Channel Ten.
It all does seem a bit better figures wise..
Better signal strength, and better s/n ratio.

These figures vary, but better than Channel One for me was, and now Channel One is recommended !!!
So I think the moral is check your Channel figures, and amend if recommended.
(I don't know what software use would use under Windows / Linux to do this)
For Apple mac I use iStumbler, and Wi-Fi Signal

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

How often is your water meter being read?! I wouldn't have thought it would need to transmit much until it receives a signal asking it for a reading. Although I suppose a stupider design would have it continuously broadcasting the reading.  Crazy
Edit: I suppose the wireless meters come with a display to put indoors and give you a constant reminder of how much water / energy you're using / wasting / saving.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: PlusComUK

My water meter, probably on demand, uses wi-fi to send a meter reading without entry to the premises.

As above.
Others, as you suggest, may transmit continuously.
No Channel 13 found on my scans, ever.