cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mybroadbandspeed - when is it going to be fixed?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

mybroadbandspeed - when is it going to be fixed?

Even on a 20CN line the results are half what they should be. The results it gives are seriously misleading. Until it is fixed it should be closed down and the link from the members centre redirected to some other tester that actually works!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
65 REPLIES 65
nicsardo

Re: mybroadbandspeed - when is it going to be fixed?

hi i totaly agree your speed tester should be closed as it
has had me wondering why my speed is much slower using plusnet speed tester.
please close till fixed.
regards n Angry
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Yep mybroadbandspeed.co.uk is broken but I cannot understand why PN are silent on the subject Angry
I had a new referral join this week who was upset that the PN recommended speed test was showing that PN was slower than her old provider Sad
I explained that mybroadbandspeed.co.uk was broken & ameliorated her concern using speedtest.net as an example.
PN - please post a service status re mybroadbandspeed.co.uk.
Anonymous
Not applicable

But it's not broken ! - it is working perfectly, I have run it after each posting in this thread and get EXACTLY the right result EVERY time.
e.g. -
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It is sometimes - this is the graph of my speed test - ignore the really low one as I had reached my usage limit and I wanted to see what happened
My sync speed has been constant with a Plusnet profile of 4,300kbps
anniesboy
Rising Star

Its a useful as a bucket with holes
scotsmanmark

i did a speedtest using plusnets own broadband checker and it said i'm getting 2mbps...when i should and have been getting at least 10mbps.To play it safe,i also did a speedcheck using BT's broadband checker (it was same..2mbps)..This has happened to me before on several occasions over last couple of months.BUT low and behold...as soon as i phone plusnet,my speeds go zooming back up again !!! Shocked WEIRD!!! I need a stable speed from my ISP and this always seems to happen when i'm in the middle of something.I dont think i will be here for much longer if this keeps happening..I hope that plusnet are not strangulating some of our speeds on purpose,because that is the impression i am getting just now..
matt_2k34
Grafter

I completely agree, i dont understand why a service status wasnt posted days ago. People on the forums keep complaining about it yet nothing is done (and pointing people to threads where its being discussed they seem to not believe there is an issue)

Compared to a test run straight after on Speedtest.net

But even that is fluctuating alot (same server, listerally straight after)

Wonder if some of the peering link changes have borked some transit link that the speedtesters were using? (Or PN is shoving too much down one of those links?)

I would imagine you're having little problem purleigh because your line isnt as quick as some of the other tests... while it pulls an accurate figure for you, the tester is crippled above 10mbps for me.
Regards
as soon as i phone plusnet,my speeds go zooming back up again !!!

I would put that down to a fault or coincidence, nothing PN will have done would have altered your speed without a resync unless their profile was behind the BT IP profile (in which case the agent would of told you they nudged it)
Anonymous
Not applicable

I accept the point that I'm on an 20CN 8mbps line and therefore won't see as big a drop in speed as others on 21CN or fttc,
but I was pointing out that I am still seeing full line speed whereas jelv's original post isn't (half normal results) on a similar 20CN line.
BTW still OK here -
matt_2k34
Grafter

@purleigh & jelv
Worth doing a tracert & displaying which gateway you're on when getting either good or bad results? might highlight a funky routing issue specific (or not) to a gateway?
Regards
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=Which gateway]You are currently connected to the gateway known as pcl-ag01.
$ mtr www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
HOST: my_laptop                   Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
 1. my_gateway                    0.0%    10    1.2   1.1   0.9   1.5   0.2
 2. lo0-central3.pcl-ag01.plus.n  0.0%    10   19.9  22.7  19.1  30.8   4.7
 3. gi1-5-131.pcl-gw01.plus.net   0.0%    10   19.0  19.1  18.3  20.6   0.7
 4. ae3.pcl-cr01.plus.net         0.0%    10   18.8  19.2  18.5  20.0   0.4
 5. ae1.ptw-cr01.plus.net         0.0%    10   20.0  21.0  18.7  32.0   4.0
 6. te9-4.ptn-gw01.plus.net       0.0%    10   19.6  19.6  18.9  20.3   0.4
 7. vl55.ptn-lb01.plus.net        0.0%    10   19.3  19.2  18.3  21.4   0.9
 8. 84.92.1.14                    0.0%    10   19.2  28.0  18.3  52.9  15.0

Still good -

The_10th
Grafter

The tester should work for everyone without any caveats and really ought to be switched off. Any hint of a problem does nothing for confidence in any result either.
I use speedtest.net now, as I used to in the past before mybroadbandspeed was implemented, and I do prefer it over the plusnet offering.
anniesboy
Rising Star

A minute or so apart
dick:green Image tags added.
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the last time that I'm going to post speedtest results in this thread - otherwise it will get boring for everyone  Roll_eyes

KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Just because a few people are getting correct speeds from it doesn't mean it isn't broken and Plusnet has admitted it isn't working so I agree they should definitely remove the links to it from the website.
Mybroadbandspeed:

Speedtest.net: