Fixes: 1

Re: World IPv6 launch day set to aid net address switchover

Check your IPv6 readiness
http://test-ipv6.com/ ;
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Well, launch day came and went. Did anyone notice anything of substance in the general public arena?
That's RPM to you!!
David_W
Rising Star

No one (who has IPV6) should have noticed anything really, if we did it'd be a problem! Only thing I've noticed about IPV6 recently is that if I'm looking for devices I check if it's IPV6 capable, like my new mobile phone, turns out that Windows Phone 7.5 isn't IPV6 enabled, can't remember if my PSVita is or not, I think it wasn't.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

It certainly seems to have generally gone without all the fuss and fanfare of last year's test day. Either the novelty has worn off or it is a reflection that there are less issues being faced by those that (now) support it.
It is a shame that many of the big players didn't take the plunge. I'd be interested in hearing what Plusnet did as they made quite a fuss about last year's pilot day.
Mathew
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: David
turns out that Windows Phone 7.5 isn't IPV6 enabled

What's going on there?! Both WM 5 and 6 were IPv6 enabled... One can only assume it was rushed out incomplete.
Mathew
avatastic
Grafter

No IPv6 BBC
Google, Facebook and Yahoo (dot com only, dot co dot uk doesn't have a v6 address) appear to have gone live with ipv6 on their main www hosts
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
David_W
Rising Star

@Mathew - WP7 is a new build (with the tiles) and also not aimed at business users.  WP8 is supposed to have IPV6 support built in (and rumours suggest WP7.5 phones can upgrade to WP8, which is nice).  Of course, the question then becomes, how many telco's have IPV6 support over 3G/4G rather than having to rely on IPV6 support over Wi-fi?
MrToast
Grafter

Quote from: avatastic
No IPv6 BBC

The BBC are entering a period of high demand and high profile coverage. First the Jubilee, then Euro's and the Olympics. Not the obvious time to introduce more variables or take attention from other tasks.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Although the likes of Google and Facebook have IPv6 enabled their websites we have to remember that as an ISP we have different to consider. For instance, as well as our website we have to consider Broadband connectivity, hardware, caching DNS, authoritive DNS, customer hosted services, email platform, core network, customer database and RADIUS platform etc.
We have tried it on our website to prove it worked , and it did. And we are currently working on all of the above mentioned aspects of our business to enable those too.
We don't have any more spaces available on the trial now and we do plan on starting a live service trial soon, where we'll open it up to a lot more people.
Jojo Smiley
MrToast
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
we do plan on starting a live service trial soon

I presume this mean for the broadband access service? and that it will be in the intended launch configuration?
Have you fixed that configuration yet? Will you for example be offering a /48 address pre-fix?