cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*21CN ONLY* Do you think your PN profile is not updating as it should?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: *21CN ONLY* Do you think your PN profile is not updating as it should?

Quote from: chrispurvey
The way the information is generated to the delta reports has been adjusted, although currently any changes under 256kbps will not be reported to us as it stands, this is just to manage volume while we see if there is any initial difference.

Could I ask for further clarification on this point? Do you really mean that BT will not be providing a Delta report for changes less than 256kbps or just that you won't be downloading and processing such reports?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I'm very pleased to see that these changes have been made; they have been quite a long time in coming.  I'll try to keep an eye on my own router and Current Line Speed to see if it behaves as intended.
I'm also confused about the sub 256kbps changes.  Do you mean these will never be processed or will just not be processed as promptly?  What about the poorest members of our society - those on very long lines who struggle to get 1000kbps?   
ejs
Aspiring Hero

If you only care about the total TCP throughput speed, then you might gain as much from your profile not going down as you would lose from your profile not going up.
Anotherone
Champion

In that context, the other gain could be random dropped packets  Shocked
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Making some change that boosted a meagre sync rate from 750kbps to 1000kbps and deriving no benefit from it would not leave anyone in that situation feeling happy.  But I cannot beleive that is what will actually happen, we just need Plusnet to clarify.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Anotherone
Could I ask for further clarification on this point? Do you really mean that BT will not be providing a Delta report for changes less than 256kbps or just that you won't be downloading and processing such reports?

The delta reports are not generating any reports when the change in sync speed is under 256kbps, we download every report they provide.
This is the way it has initially been filtered and may be tweaked to a smaller amount later down the line depending on volumes and the benefit of having the threshold lower.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Suppose my client's download sync changes from 750kbps to 1000kbps.  This, it seems, will never be reflected in a delta report.  So Plusnet will never increase their Current Line Speed unless I call to ask that this be done manually.  But then what happens?  Would it automatically get set down again when the next delta report comes in or will it hold so long as there is no change in the delta report number? 
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Is it really for changes in sync speed less than 256 kbps? Shouldn't it be for changes between the last reported profile and the new profile? Otherwise there's an obvious problem if a series of successive sync speed changes, all smaller than 256 kbps, all get missed.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

As it stands at the moment, the profile would need manually updating as it would not generate a report under 256kbps.
This is something that will be reviewed once we see if the initial changes have been successful.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Surely there should be a lower threshold below which all changes are reported - say 2mbps. At that level you are talking about a 12.5% change - it's ludicrous to disregard that. Alternatively make it work on a percentage - at 10mbps 256kbps is 2.5% so make it so that it doesn't report changes of less 2.5%.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I agree Jelv, but it looks like this is out of Plusnet's hands.  And as usual with BT, it's those who are getting the worst service who receive the least consideration.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Given that there are known issues with synchronisation of PN profiles with BT profiles, it would be great if there were an interface within the portal which reported the PN & BT profiles side by side.  Given that support have the means of querying the DLM for his data, this must be a do-able task?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

A lot of Dev work though!. Not sure it would be worth it, especially since they are now optimising the scripts to get the Current Line Speed updated.
@chrispurvey
Whilst I could accept Plusnet not processing the smaller changes whilst you "optimise" your scripts, BT not providing the data is totally unacceptable for the reasons already stated by the other posters.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

@Anotherone
BT not providing the data in the data feed, is I suggest the very reason that a dynamic enquiry of what it is currently (avoiding the need to do a speed test) is so desirable.  Indeed if it is technically achievable, it might provide a route for PN to 'pull' the data (for updating the PN profile) rather than waiting on a defective 'push' of the data from BT if / when they decide to send it.
I somewhat recall (but do not remember the detail) that there have been discussions (I think you contributed to these) on other ways of handling this issue; is it time to reconsider those alternatives?
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Kevin, perhaps you are thinking of reply #8 from Kelly here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111019.msg951891.html#msg951891 ?  But I presume the scheme he and Dave were working on never came to fruition.