cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

open ports with john lewis broadband

iamwill

open ports with john lewis broadband

Hi

I've got Zyxel VMG3925-B10C router with my John Lewis Broadband contract (plus net is the upstream). I've spent the best part of a day trying to open ports 5228, 5229, 5230 and 443.  There's zero support from JL and almost no info on the router.  Having tried all the usual settings to open the port I can only conclude that the ports are blocked by the isp.  Can anyone offer any insight which might help?

Thanks loads

Will

13 REPLIES 13
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

Re: open ports with john lewis broadband

@iamwill port forwarding for the VMG3925-B10C can be found from the Network Setting->NAT menu

Are you trying to open ports for inbound or outbound connections ?

Outbound connections are not blocked at all.

For inbound connections you must forward the port to a specified connected device.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
iamwill

Hi MisterW

Thanks for the reply, I've set up a static ip for the destination computer (Network Settings >> Home Network >> Static DHCP) and then forwarded the ports to the static IP (Network Settings >> Home Network >> Nat >> Port Forwarding).

I've tried loads of different setting like disabling firewall, DMZ host.

Thanks loads for any further ideas.

Will

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That should work fine. I've used one of these routers in the past and had port forwarding for a VNC server working. You should have the Firewall on LOW and make sure there's nothing in the DMZ

You won't see the port open unless the destination computer is running and has an application or service listening on the ports.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Do JLP accounts have an ISP 'side' firewall similar to that of native Plusnet users?

If the account's firewall options are enabled, connections to the ports might be blocked long before getting anywhere near the router.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Do JLP accounts have an ISP 'side' firewall similar to that of native Plusnet users?

@Townman I did think about that, but I can;t see any reference to one in the JLP Help & Support

but that does make me think @iamwill is there any firewall on the destination computer that may need configuring ?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@MisterW wrote:

... make sure there's nothing in the DMZ

You won't see the port open unless the destination computer is running and has an application or service listening on the ports.

Putting the "target" PC into the DMZ as a test would help to eliminate ...

• Issues with an ISP's service side firewall
  • Issues with a local fire wall on the target PC

Subsequent to establishing an external connection to the target PC with it in the DMZ, it can then be removed from the DMZ and attention focussed on addressing the port forwarding rules.  I suggest that this problem needs layering.

This resource might be helpful - GRC | ShieldsUP! — Service Ports Probe - see the section entitled "Service Ports Scan Application Guide (Cool things you can do with our Service Ports Probe)"

iamwill

Thanks Chaps!!!  

I've disabled the firewall on my mac so this shouldn't be a problem.

I made the target PC into a DMZ and this didn't change a thing, no ability to reach the target mac Sad

I ran the ShieldsUP! test and got the following result - "THE EQUIPMENT AT THE TARGET IP ADDRESS
DID NOT RESPOND TO OUR UPnP PROBES!"  I'm not sure what this means though....

How can I find out if JL have a firewall ISP side?  Having tried everything it feels like this is likely.

Thanks again for all the help!

Will

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

There is no server side firewall on JL.

What exactly are you forwarding ports to?

As others have mentioned, there will need to be a service running/listening on said port in order for it to be shown as open.

Can you access the service locally on your own network using the ports in question?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Shields up only tests the lower 1028 ports automatically - you will need to use the specific port tests to inspect 5228-5230.  Put 5228-5230 into the text box and press entre.

What are you trying to run - Google Talk? See here.

Why do you think you need to open these explicitly?  (At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, but for the avoidance of doubt...) You only need to open ports for INBOUND connections.  What application are you HOSTING? Port 443 is HTTPS and infers a hosted webserver.

If this is related to Google Talk, I think that those are OUTBOUND ports - see here https://serverfault.com/a/42104

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

Part of a routers job is to transfer requests from a known external port to a defined port on an internal device, It shouldn’t matter that the internal device doesn’t exist in which case there will be no response. Given the problem, I know some ISPs block certain ports, I’d be asking John Lewis if they had any blocks on any ports.

It would be helpful if we knew which port(s) were causing the OP’s problem.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

John Lewis Broadband does not intentionally block any of these ports out on the network.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

Thanks, I'll accept that all 65K ports are open....