FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: mkv files

@penneck wrote:

I assume you want to try it (but that is just my guess), so here it is:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JWYIY3icUg 

as requested but just to make you aware, Handbrake has solved the problem.

My thanks to you for your help

When you use 4kVideo Downloader... you can specify the format of the downloaded file... ( see pic ) .

I opted for MP4 on my first download many moons ago... even after several updates, it still shows MP4 as the selected format

4k video .png

Note... the selected version "Normal Quality 360p 25fps is only 27.1  High Quality will be 38.3 MB

penneck
Aspiring Pro

@daveplus This gets stranger and stranger. It doesn't appear to be the downloading (4k Video Downloader) on my pc. Its the running it on VLC (on my pc) where the problem shows itself. If it was the download that caused the problem, wouldn't I have had a problem with converting it to MP4 format?

I did reinstall VLC just in case, but that didn't solve it.

However, it might be that there was insufficient space on my hard drive (I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for a cause now). Does VLC require unused space on the hard drive for it to work? The hard drive is partitioned into two parts, the C: drive having only 3.1GB space, and the E: drive (don't ask) only having 2.4GB. My download put the mkv file on the C: drive and I was trying to run it in VLC on there. For Handbrake, I moved the mkv file to the E: drive, and output the mp4 file to the C: drive. The reformatting worked like that, but the lack of space means I need to do something about storing files elsewhere or deleting some of them anyway.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

@shutter  I cannot find that 'Download Clip' window in my 4k Video Downloader. I've tried all of the dropdown menus. Nothing seems to bring up the Download Clip window.

What have I missed?

shutter
Community Veteran

@penneck  

1. find the Youtube video you want to copy

2. open 4kVideoDownloader

3. select/copy the you tube url

4. carry that to the 4KVideoDownloader window... ( where it shows an outline of a laptop screen) then Right Click and "paste"

5. you then get a short window saying "Parsing".. that will disappear and the "Download Clip" window appears

6. choose/select the type of format you want... either Mkv (default) or MP4 from drop down menu

7. select the "quality level" you want

8.click the "Browse" button to locate your downloads in ( or make a new folder for them)

9. Click the "Download" button...

10 go to the "specified download folder" and Right Click on the file... to "play" ... 

Hope that helps !

Wink

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Hi @penneck

I am playing the download now and VLC is using circa 88MB. With nothing opened, VLC is using 14MB.

Too little disc space could impact anything.

Are you running Task Manager to see what is using the space that you do have? Also how much RAM is in your PC. Too much swapping would have an impact.

You say "If it was the download that caused the problem, wouldn't I have had a problem with converting it to MP4 format?" I have no idea about that.

Dave

ps Also do you clear out garbage from installations ?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@penneck wrote:

However, it might be that there was insufficient space on my hard drive (I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for a cause now). Does VLC require unused space on the hard drive for it to work? The hard drive is partitioned into two parts, the C: drive having only 3.1GB space, and the E: drive (don't ask) only having 2.4GB. My download put the mkv file on the C: drive and I was trying to run it in VLC on there. For Handbrake, I moved the mkv file to the E: drive, and output the mp4 file to the C: drive. The reformatting worked like that, but the lack of space means I need to do something about storing files elsewhere or deleting some of them anyway.

Video tends to require lots of space - I've got 300GB+ of the things. VLC on Linux wouldn't require any working space, but I don't know anything about Windows. Note that remuxing stuff, such as with handbrake, is very CPU intensive. Much better to choose the right size input!

Worth pointing out that if your filesystems are virtually full, then they will be performing badly, especially if they are NTFS.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

penneck
Aspiring Pro

@shutter  not on my pc it didn't. I followed your script to Instruction No 4. I didn't get "Parsing", nor the "Download Clip" window. It went straight to downloading the file I had selected on You Tube. No idea why.

shutter
Community Veteran

Are you using "Smart Mode"   ? ? ? ?    ( that is a "one click" option....  

SMART MODE.png

If so... you may need to uncheck the box "Enable Smart Mode".... then click OK..

Then you should see the "parsing" and the selection as previously shown  

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Never mind. At least you tried. According to Help on 4k Video Downloader, I have version 4.16.0.4250 x64, which it says is the latest version according to 4k Vid etc etc/Tools/Check For Updates, so it agrees with you

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I've just gone into Smart Mode, and been able to set the Format to MP4 and Quality to 360p. I'll try that. Will let you know how I get on

shutter
Community Veteran

OK.. If you are using Smart Mode... then you won`t get the Parsing... and the options of choosing the quality.. 

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Well, would you believe it?

What was a 1.2GB mkv file and took ages to download when I did it before, has downloaded in MP4 in a couple of minutes (if that) and is less than 49MB.

That means, not only have I been able to delete a much bigger M4V file, which itself had replaced the 1.2GB mkv file, I can remove Handbrake too. All this extra free space on my hard drive.

I'm sorry to all who helped. I didn't realise that Smart Mode would allow me to do what it did. Anyway, thankyou everybody.

shutter
Community Veteran

Smiley  You`re welcome !  Wink

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@penneck wrote:

Well, would you believe it?

What was a 1.2GB mkv file and took ages to download when I did it before, has downloaded in MP4 in a couple of minutes (if that) and is less than 49MB.

That means, not only have I been able to delete a much bigger M4V file, which itself had replaced the 1.2GB mkv file, I can remove Handbrake too. All this extra free space on my hard drive.

I'm sorry to all who helped. I didn't realise that Smart Mode would allow me to do what it did. Anyway, thankyou everybody.

You can set the parameters in handbrake to get a much reduced size (at some slight loss in quality).

Not worth bothering about the space taken up by handbrake - for me, its only 17MB.

Blame Plusnet for the time taken for the GB file size.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."