cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi enabling and disabling on Router

Ramverma92

Wifi enabling and disabling on Router

Hi,

I subscribed to Plusnet Broadband recently and was sent a router.

The router does not have a physical button to switch off and on wifi.

I do not generally keep wifi on and do not want it to be on by default. That said, once in a day I switch it on wifi for half an hour or so,

Because the router does not have manual/physical button to switch it on and off, I have to go Hub, which is not very convenient. Plusnet does not have a router that has a physcial button.

I will appreciate if there are other ways. I am not a tech person, so looking for something like may be a sub-router (which has a button) that I can plug into wire-LAN port into Plusnet router, etc.  I do not know if it will work or any other simple solutions.

Thanks,

Ram

Ram

6 REPLIES 6
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Wifi enabling and disabling on Router

@Ramverma92  You do not say if your "router" is for ADSL broadband , or Fibre . which would be helpful to anyone trying to respond to your query.

Ramverma92

Thanks. 

I should have mentioned, it is for ADSL broadband

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Ramverma92  You do not "have to" use the Plusnet router supplied by Plusnet. !. you can source your own from Ebay, but you will have to make your own enquiries about how, or if, any particular router can have the WIFI switched off at the router.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@Ramverma92 

do you have an router from a previous provider, it maybe possible to repurpose it as a wireless access point.

Just confirm make and model, hopefully the community provide you with the necessary instructions

Dan. 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@Ramverma92 wrote:

Because the router does not have manual/physical button to switch it on and off, I have to go Hub, which is not very convenient. Plusnet does not have a router that has a physcial button.

I would have thought a quick move to the Hub interface would be preferable to getting up and walking to its physical location.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@shutter wrote:

@Ramverma92  You do not say if your "router" is for ADSL broadband , or Fibre . which would be helpful to anyone trying to respond to your query.

What bearing does the type of broadband connection have on the question or potential answers?

If you seek to infer which router might be in use here, determining that by the connectivity technology is a high risk approach.

@Ramverma92 

What is it that you seek to mitigate by turning off the WiFi?

• Security - a good password will deal with that
  • Control of child access to the internet - they can turn the wifi button back on - you would be better off setting parental controls in the router having changed the default admin password ... however we have seen ill-disciplined kids circumvent that by doing a factory reset on the router when their parents have left them unsupervised!
  • Saving electricity - no more than an odd copper or two over having the router switched on

So many devices now rely in being always on-line ... even down to the humble smart meter display unit.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.