cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transmission Bit Torrent issue

Michael-London
Hooked

Transmission Bit Torrent issue

Hello, has anyone got any experience of the Transmission app, particularly running on a Drobo 5N2?

I've had this configuration running successfully for many years until I upgraded last week to full fibre to the premises (FTTP) with PlusNet, a division of BT. I was with PlusNet before, albeit with a fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) connection, and all worked well with an upload speed of around 760KB/s. The upgrade gave me 20MB/s.

The most I've seen Transmission upload is about 3.5MB/s which is disappointing, but the main problem is the speed falls away after an hour of so to pretty much a complete stop. Only a full restart of the Drobo, not even stopping and restarting the Transmission app, restores the speed, for a while anyway.

Has anybody got any ideas how to fix this please?

Thank you,

Michael 🙂
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Re: Transmission Bit Torrent issue

Assuming you're on the Full Fibre 900 package, your upload will top out about 13MB/s if saturating the line.

Have you set up port forwarding on the router?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Michael-London
Hooked

Thanks very much, I’m on the package that gives me 72MB download and 20MB upload. Checking the speed from the router confirms this.

And yes thank you, Transmission set up port forwarding and I’ve looked on the router and confirmed this.

What I don’t understand is why it dwindles to nothing in about an hour. I’ll try limiting the top speed to about 750KB, reset the Drobo and see if it holds up 🙏
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

So 20Mbps is about 2.5MB/s - I think transmission will report in MB/s not Mbps.
Anything else that is running on your network will impact the speed you can upload at.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Michael-London
Hooked

Thanks very much, I had made the assumption that the speeds are MegaBytes rather than MegaBits.  I now understand why I'm only seeing roughly 10% of the speed I was expecting.  Makes perfect sense and thanks for pointing it out.

I'm still confused why the speed starts out high and goes low in an hour or so, never to return until the Drobo is reset.  Any thought greatly appreciated.  I'll post on the Transmission Website, if I can, and see if I can get any more info there.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend 🙂