cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming to projector over WiFi

rarara

Streaming to projector over WiFi

Hello all

I tried a basic projector, casting to it over WiFi, first from Windows and then from ios. The video kept buffering every few seconds. Video streamed fine when I did it with an HDMI cable instead of WiFi. I'm on fibre on a PlusNet Hub 1 router.

I want to run the projector over WiFi if possible. What might be the cause, and the possible solutions?

I've since returned the projector (for a different reason) and am looking to getting another so I have an opportunity to think about WiFi 6 now. If that is the way forward does that mean that I need to have WiFi 6 capable laptop/ios device or is it just a new router.

Any help gratefully received.

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Streaming to projector over WiFi

@rarara  Welcome to the forum

WiFi 6 will only work at its full potential if the computer, router and projector are all WiFi 6 capable devices. To be honest this sounds like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

One thing to try is splitting the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@rarara  An HDMI cable will always be more reliable than wi-fi.

rarara

@Baldrick1 Thank you, I will try this with the new projector when it arrives.

But just for my understanding, is it the case that this should help because

• There will be less interference from other devices and perhaps more bandwidth for the projector as I will be using the 5 GHz band only to cast to the projector.
  • The 5 GHz band can run at 1300 Mbps thus offering greater WiFi speed
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

The 1300Mbps is all headline stuff. In the real world depending on the resolution of the projector a solid and reliable 5Mbps is probably all that you need, well within the capability of both 2.4 and 5GHz data streams.

When you get your new projector just set it up with your existing hub and if it buffers come back and we can offer more specific advice.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

rarara

@RealAleMadrid  I mentioned connection with HDMI just so people would know that it was the WiFi, not the source that was the cause of the buffering. Probably unnecessary. Thanks for replying anyway.

rarara

Thank you