U4iK

Setting up ATA after Porting out Phone Number

@FlossyThePig 

How is your number porting going?

37 REPLIES 37
FlossyThePig
Rising Star

Re: Unable to port landline number after signing up to Full Fibre

Signed up with A&A for VOIP. Last message was Porting Date: 23/06/2023, Porting Time: 10:00.

I set up my Grandstream HT812 when I started to use Sipgate so shouldn't take much to change the settings. Sipgate prices had got silly and I wasn't sure if they had a process that would port my number easily.

Fingers crossed for Friday morning.

Moderators Note: Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum rules

U4iK

@FlossyThePig 

Will keep my fingers crossed for you too. If all goes well I think I might finally go for the upgrade too and I might be back in touch for some settings for the grandstream.

FlossyThePig
Rising Star

The number has been ported to A&A and I have spent a lot of time trying to get all the settings in my HT812 to get VOIP working. So far I can ring out but I can't ring in and the details on the A&A website are a bit sparse. The manuals on the Grandstream site are useful but when I tried to get the latest version there is a fault on the site.

I'll try again after the weekend.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

So far I can ring out but I can't ring in

@FlossyThePig is it that calls in fail to connect or they just ring out and the phone doesnt actually ring ?

If its the latter, then you may need an RJ11 adaptor with a ring capacitor ( or just try with an old DSL filter as they have ring capacitors built-in )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

FlossyThePig
Rising Star

My test phone worked fine when it was connected to the old landline.

The test phone is connected to to port one and the ethernet to the WAN socket. Calling my mobile phone connects and the number is recognised. Calling from my mobile I get a voice message that the phone is unavailable, try later.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

In that case you probably need someone with more experience of the HT812.

If you log in to the A & A control panel, does your HT812 show as registered ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Michael_0
Dabbler

I had an issue very similar to this and, although I'm using the HT801, I thought it worth mentioning just in case.  On the FXS PORT page there is a box for the Primary SIP Server which A&A indicates should be voiceless.aa.net.uk followed by boxes for Proxy Servers (I left these blank) but just after these is a box for From Domain which the comment after it states is optional.  It wasn't for me.  Hopefully, this screenshot will render in a readable manner.  YMMV but it worked for me 😀Screenshot from 2023-06-25 17-42-10.png

Michael_0
Dabbler

I should add that as soon as that 'optional' value was applied, the status page changed from Not Registered to Registered and the attached phone could receive calls.
FlossyThePig
Rising Star

I entered voiceless.aa.net.uk in the From Domain box, clicked Apply and rebooted. I still couldn't call the landline and as it was getting late I gave up. As my Smart meter IHD was was acting strangely I turned off a lot of things including the HT812 and went to bed.

The next day I thought I would give it another try and powered up the HT812. Without logging on I gave it a quick test and I could make and receive calls.

Next task, for me, is to document all the settings.

peterhr
Rising Star

Well, I have my 100mbs zen fibre installed. The ONT is not as conveniently located as the copper connection for the equipment basically due to having stuff built than means the fibre couldn't take the same run. Tested out with thier fritzbox then configured and connected the Wan2 port on the draytek 2860 speed test gave me 165Mbs ... until I unplugged the VDSĹ.

Now using a pair of adaptors from amazon to put the ONT power and data down the same CAT5e to where the router is.

I want to keep the Draytek since I run the home lan, a second lan for IOT devices (I don't expect manufacturers to keep the Linux they run secure), and a guest network. 

I moved the Grandstream HT812 from Plusnet to Zen (it's on legacy sipgate basic/starter), it just worked until unplugged but then wouldn't reconnect to zipgate.

Couldn't find the admin password for the HT812, so reset it to factory - then immediately found the the password in BitWarden.

Reconfigured the HT812 just following the sipgate instructions and it just works ... I must have had to do something extra for plusnet.

My landline number will port next week, will be 25+ years of plusnet customer history gone when they close the account.

I would have stayed with plusnet for fibre if there has been a way to port the number to SIP / Digital Voice without closing the account - huge shame they created the catch 22 situation.

Why Zen?,  I hope to avoid the BT annual price hike escalator. 

U4iK

@FlossyThePig 

Glad to see the grandstream is working not looking forward to getting one and setting it up.

When you placed your fttp order when did you contact A&A about the number port, did you order it straight away and were able to pick the transfer date for after the fttp installation?

FlossyThePig
Rising Star

@U4iK wrote:

When you placed your fttp order when did you contact A&A about the number port, did you order it straight away and were able to pick the transfer date for after the fttp installation?

My upgrade to FTTP was on 16/06/23 and I signed up for A&A VOIP on 18/06/23. Part of the process asked if I wanted to port my number and prompted for the leaving ISP, which was PN. On 19/06/23 I got an email telling me the port would take place on 23/06/23, which it did.

Quite simple really, apart from setting up the HT812.

TobyDSC
Hooked

Thank you very much for this.

We're in exactly this situation with the FTTP booked for 31 August and A&A advising to book the number port a few days ahead of this, so this now all makes sense.

U4iK

Just wanted to add to this that I am another successful FTTP install and number port out to A&A.

Once my FTTP was installed and working the openreach engineer removed the original copper phone line cable. That night I started the number port with A&A.

They got back to me with a port date for one week after the FTTP install and number ported that day with no issues. Decided we were long overdue new house phones so bought a gigaset C570 premium phone and N300A base station package and configured it with no issues.