cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ring Doorbell

onlymeagain

Ring Doorbell

H i i am trying to get a ring door bell to work through router but its not full y connecting to the router . i have rang the ring helpline and after being on the phone for ages they have to told me to  disable the firewall in the router but this is not helping  have you any suggestions  thanks

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): All caps title/text edited as per Forum rules.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ring Doorbell

Hello @onlymeagain Welcome to the Forum.

This may be of no help at all but I have the Ring Pro Door Bell and it worked for me out of the box, but I'm not using a Plusnet provided router which I assume you are?

Also there in no need that I can think of that you need to disable your firewall, sounds like they were clutching at straws. Have a look at the push button on the door bell, it has a light quadrant on it and the sections illuminated can tell you a lot.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Some ring doorbells used to be 2.4ghz only - so it might be worth splitting the 2.4ghz / 5ghz wifi bands on your hub one and see if that helps.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
onlymeagain

thanks for your help guys but i have decided to return the doorbell too much hassle. going to buy a different one and if that dont work then plusnet has to go cheers

picky

Hi,

I had a problem connecting a Ring Doorbell to my new Hub 2 router and I got it to work by logging onto my hub via 192.168.1.254 and using the Admin password. I then changed the wireless mode to mode 2 in the Advanced Wireless page and it then connected first time.

Tags (1)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

That is an interesting observation.  The question though is what is the difference between Mode 1 and Mode 2 which made this work for you?  This matter arose during the SU trails of the Hub Two routers way back when...

One of the resources we looked at (see What is the wireless mode feature on my BT Smart Hub? | BT Help) suggested that Mode 1 does not support WiFi "b" mode - but Mode 2 does.  I have seen devices find a WiFi SSID appear to connect to it, but have no network functionality, if the SSID does no support "b" mode.

That said, other support information furnished during the trail suggested that Mode 1 does support "b" mode ... which gives rise as to why switching to Mode 2 worked for you?

@bobpullen - any thoughts please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Townman wrote:

@bobpullen - any thoughts please?

Interesting one as I don't think I've come across any other instances where Ring Doorbell onboarding has been problematic, and there are hundreds of thousands of these units in the wild now.

AFAIK, Mode 1 does support "b", however there are modulation differences between Modes 1 & 2 that have implications on "b" operation. I don't think it's worth spending too much time on this aspect though as I very much doubt a Ring Doorbell is only capable of operating using 20+ year old Wi-Fi protocols 😉

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵