cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIng Doorbell Pro unable to join Ring Network

kendo23

RIng Doorbell Pro unable to join Ring Network

I have recently moved house and have inherited a Ring doorbell pro, but cant get it working....

Its powered (not battery), using the Ring App, I have tried many times to add a new device.

Its recognised, my Wi-Fi is ok but the set up always fails when it attempts to join the temporary Ring network. The bell device hence not being added.

I have a Hub Two, I have attempted set up on two different iphones (one with vpn, one not) and an Ipad (all on the latest IoS). They all fail to join the Ring network when asked to. I have tried resetting the doorbell, turned off my router, I also have a mesh system in place to improve my wifi coverage.

Even when i try to join Ring XXX wifi from settings on my devices (it is a strong signal), but I always get unable to join this network. 

It worked fine for the previous house owners.

I have added two Ring camera's without issue.

Is it me, a router issue or something else.

Any help appreciated

11 REPLIES 11
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: RIng Doorbell Pro unable to join Ring Network

I have a Hub Two, I have attempted set up on two different iphones (one with vpn, one not) and an Ipad (all on the latest IoS). They all fail to join the Ring network when asked to. I have tried resetting the doorbell, turned off my router, I also have a mesh system in place to improve my wifi coverage.

Even when i try to join Ring XXX wifi from settings on my devices (it is a strong signal), but I always get unable to join this network. 

@kendo23 not something I'm familiar with but from your description it sounds like it MAY be an IoS specific permissions problem. I dont think its anything to do with the router or mesh system as the problem is in joining the local Ring network used for setting up the doorbell

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mav
Fixes: 515

When you say that the doorbell fails to join the network is it actually showing up in the Ring App?

If so, can you remove the doorbell from the app, reset it and try again?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

kendo23

No, its doesn't show up as a device in the Ring app. The set up process just stalls

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

I'm wondering if it's because the device is already registered and that's why it won't allow you to rejoin the network. As you'll know these things have to be either scanned in or have their unique number logged into the system. The two cameras added were both new?
Having said that, it took me three or four attempts at getting our new one hooked up so...

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
kendo23

i inherited the cameras too, they installed just fine. 

Minivanman
Legend

Talking of which...
For to those that now have them, did you have trouble setting up the activation zone. We did and crikey it was a real kerfuffle.
In addition we also set up the audible activation - but had to turn it off as the postman without calling often takes shortcut across our front garden. We never minded before, but when it kept chiming every morning. Arghh!

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Mav
Fixes: 515

@Minivanman Since moving to where we are now I haven't set the doorbell or cameras up but at the old property had two cameras (one at front and one at the back) along with the doorbell. Setting up the activation zone was quite easy and worked well most of the time.

We were on a main very busy road with people walking past regularly. I set the activation zone just below the top of the hedge at the front up until the entrance for the car. This was fine most of the time but, occasionally, seemed to be triggered by people walking past the hedge even though the bush was think and couldn't be seen through. Sometimes it wouldn't activate when the postman arrived at the front doorCrazy

I'll be setting them up soon so will report back.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@kendo23 wrote: snipped

I have recently moved house and have inherited a Ring doorbell pro, but cant get it working....

It worked fine for the previous house owners.  

Have they released ownership?

Via them using the ring app?

We bought a RDB version 2 and during the setup my wife created an account and set the bell up. When I (now probably wrongly) also set up an account I couldn't access the doorbell. A call to Ring confirmed 2 accounts couldn't be registered to the same device. Our workaround was for my wife to grant access to me (and my app displays 'shared').

More info on releasing ownership can me found here 

Minivanman
Legend

Great post @DS
Thanks.

Herman Melville
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

No problem. Hopefully it'll help others.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Seems the new owner can request a transfer https://ring.com/support/articles/h4t3a/Take-Over-Change-Ownership-Ring-Device

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.