cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for Vonage VOIP users (Lloyds Internet banking two factor authentication problem)

briank
Grafter

Question for Vonage VOIP users (Lloyds Internet banking two factor authentication problem)

As part of two factor authentication when using Lloyds Internet banking, the system displays a 4 digit code on the PC.

The user receives a phone call during which he/she is suposed to key in (or say) the authentication code.

If I do this using my mobile phone, it works as expected.

However, if I receive the call on my DECT phone over broadband using Vonage Home VOIP, the key presses used to enter the code get lost in transit. It consistently fails.

I only experience this problem with Lloyds Internet Banking. Other online banking systems work ok.

I contacted Lloyds and spoke to two different advisors. They were both clueless.

I later found this article:-

https://www.voipmechanic.com/dtmf-issues.htm

The article indicates that key presses from a DECT phone are sent using DTMF.

Apparently some VOIP systems may be configured to use out-of-band signalling to transmit this information to the far end and that in some situations it may not work correctly.

I'm wondering if this could be related to the problem.

I am not entirely convinced however, because if I try the alternative method of speaking the code digits, the Lloyds voice recognition system does not work either (even if I speak LOUDLY with the microphone close to my mouth).

I have emailed a description of the problem to Vonage and am awating a reply.

The DECT phone connection does not sound particularly noisy (although not quite as good as when using a mobile phone)..

My question is: Have other Vonage / VOIP users experienced the same issue?

7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Question for Vonage VOIP users (Lloyds Internet banking two factor authentication problem)

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
briank
Grafter

Re: Question for Vonage VOIP users (Lloyds Internet banking two factor authentication problem)

An update...

Here is the response from Vonage:-

====

Thank you for contacting Vonage Customer Care.

I understand that you are unable to enter the code you receive while using internet banking with Vonage service. I will help you with your request.

I would like to update you that the issue is not related to the phone. With Vonage, we do not have the option to enter a code. This feature is not available with Vonage.

Please do understand that Vonage constantly keeps enhancing its features and services to suit customer expectations and you can expect this service to become available sometime in the near future. However, I am unable to provide a specific time frame. I will ensure that your feedback reaches the right department and we will work towards improving our services to include these benefits soon.

====

They appear to be admitting that there is an issue with their VOIP service when it comes to transmitting key presses during an internet banking call.

I find this hard to understand:-

1) How is it that I can navigate other automated call answering menus from the DECT phone using the keypad.

2) Why is it that voice recognition does not work either? - surely that must be 'in-band' and completely independant of DTMF or however key presses are transmitted.

3) Why is it only Lloyds internet banking that exhibits this problem?

Is there some kind of security feature that can be used to deliberately inhibit the use of VOIP for internet banking?

Are there any VOIP gurus who can offer an explanation?

briank
Grafter

If VOIP does not work for two factor authentication, does that mean that when Openreach ditch POTS and copper landlines in 2025 that anyone without a mobile phone will be unable to use internet banking?

briank
Grafter

No replies so I guess either no one cares or has the knowledge of how VOIP operates.

Maybe it's time to ditch Vonage, Lloyds bank or both.

I don't see why I should be forced into having a mobile phone just to use internet banking.

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

I care but I don’t use Vonage or Lloyds. I did use sipgate for awhile, until I found a better landline calling rate (sipgate is still active though not used).

It sounds like Lloyds is the issue if others work fine with DTMF. Also very odd speaking doesn’t work if that’s an option. My internet banking requires a card reader to generate a pass number.
That's RPM to you!!
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@briank wrote:

No replies so I guess either no one cares or has the knowledge of how VOIP operates.

Maybe it's time to ditch Vonage, Lloyds bank or both.

I don't see why I should be forced into having a mobile phone just to use internet banking.

I suspect one reason for the lack of answers is that relatively few people choose to use Vonage for their VoIP service so aren't in a position to comment.  I've been using VoIP for all 'landline' calls for many years, but never used, and wouldn't touch Vonage for reasons other than cost their relatively high charges.

It's strange that voice responses don't work for you with Lloyds via Vonage if they're working for other banks, and ISTM from their answer that they may not even understand what the problem is.

So yes, maybe time to ditch Vonage.  Smiley

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@briank  I don't know whether it's configurable with Vonage, but if so, then check that you are using a g711 codec. DTMF doesn't work well with the compressed codecs

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.