Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power line adapters

FIXED
avrilbryden
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Power line adapters

I have just moved over to Plusnet from Shell. My home set up includes TalkTalk Power line Adapters which worked fine with the other Router.
Since installing Plusnet Router the powerlines are no longer working. I have done and checked the following but still not resolved:
- Resynced all devices
- Reset all devices
- Turned off all devices for 12 hours overnight (as suggested in another post)
- Plugged ethernet from LAN directly to laptop to confirm connection
-Called Plusnet and found out how to check Router settings. Can see that Router recognises all adapters connected.
I currently have ethernet running from LAN1 to Powerline adapter plugged into mains socket. 2nd adaptor plugged into same mains socket (it's a dual socket) to confirm it's not an electrical problem. Have reset everything again in this set up but still only show power and ethernet but no Powerline signal.

Anyone have any other suggestions on how to resolve? I'm out of ideas
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
avrilbryden
Hooked

Re: Power line adapters

Should have added, have also tried to re pair the adaptors
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

Have reset everything again in this set up but still only show power and ethernet but no Powerline signal.

Not quite sure what you mean by that ?

The basic Powerline ethernet connection is independent of the router.

Is one of the adaptors also a wireless access point , in which case it probably needs associating with the new router

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

avrilbryden
Hooked

Not a WiFi extender, only using to extend ethernet so all adapters are not WiFi but basic extenders to ethernet connect around the house to Freeview box and office.

So basic connected to router via ethernet cable then plugged into mains socket. Previously if I then synced the other adaptors to the connected one, everything worked.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

In that case it should just work, it's independent of the router. If the ethernet lights are lit on the powerlines that means they are seeing a connection.

Is there a factory reset function on the powerlines ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Have you tried another router port?

Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

This has come up previously
https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Talk-talk-powerline-adaptors-not-worki...

So I suspect the TT powerline adaptors are expecting to see some configuration specific to the TT network. Possibly DNS servers? This would be OK with Shell as it runs on Talk Talks network.
I am unsure if the hub2 let's you configure the WAN DNS but if it does I would try setting it to the Shell/TT DNS and rebooting everything.
You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
avrilbryden
Hooked

Yes, all 3 LAN ports tried
avrilbryden
Hooked

Yes have also reset Powerlines and Router using pin
avrilbryden
Hooked

Thank you, unfortunately not able to configure WAN but I suspect it's a compatibility problem.
avrilbryden
Hooked

Thank you all for your suggestions, am about to go to purchase TP link set. Will try those and update on success/fail as soon as tried
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

Suggest you purchase powerline which support 1Gb connections something like these TP-Link TL-PA717 KIT 1-Port Gigabit Powerline Starter Kit, Data Transfer Speed Up to 1000 Mbps,  if you're not looking for a wifi access point as well. 

Dan.

avrilbryden
Hooked

Fix
Delighted to confirm that TP-Link TL-PA7017 KIT has resolved!
Connected 1 TP link to Router then paired the TalkTalk using the pair buttons on each (some of the TalkTalk needed a reset as well). Can only assume that the Plusnet Router and TalkTalk are not compatible but once TP put between them all now appears to be working.

Thank you all for your feedback and support, hopefully this thread will help others.