cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub Two Mesh Setup

FRUITANDFIBRE

Plusnet Hub Two Mesh Setup

Hi All,

I am due to me moving into a new house shortly and will want to ensure that the WiFi signal is reliable throughout the property. The router will be placed roughly in the centre of the property on the ground floor as this is where the master socket is. It is important for there to be a good signal in the back bedroom 1 floor up as this is where the office will be.

I know that the ideal solution is to run Cat 5E cable however I would much prefer a more elegant solution for this. My initial research was into lots of different mesh setups and I eventually settled on either a Deco M5 or Deco M9 setup. It was at this point I thought that it would be a good idea to check the forum and saw that there was a post that suggested that the Hub Two is not compatible with a mesh setup (I simply assumed that I could toggle the WiFi off and be done with it).

Is there any way that such a setup could work with the Smart Hub Two? If not would there be an alternative, Plusnet compatible router in the line-up of TP Link or similar that could form the basis of such a network? I have considered other alternatives such as a Powerline system however it would appear that the performance of such a device when running on a full RCBO electric setup the performance of such a system is quite sub par.

F&F

8 REPLIES 8
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Plusnet Hub Two Mesh Setup

You could carry on looking, but with a move coming up I guess you won’t have too much time.

You could put the Hub into modem mode and let the Deco do your routing and Wi Fi, you just need your username and password for the PPOE settings.

Or if you are going full fibre, just plug the Deco into the ONT.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@FRUITANDFIBRE 

I use a mesh WiFi system - the BT Whole Home Wifi 3 white disk system, and have a Plusnet Hub 2.

I just turned off both WiFi bands on the Hub2 and run entirely on the mesh system.

I think that the confusion about the Hub2 not being compatible with mesh is that you cannot use the hub's WiFi as one of the access points like you can with BT's SmartHub 2 and black discs.

One thing to note though, turning off the Hub2's WiFi on the GUI does not completely disable it. What I did was to fix my mesh system on to my preferred channels, (1 and 48), then fix the Hub2's WiFi on other channels, (in my case 6 and 44), before switching it off. That way the two systems don't interfere with each other.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Mr_Paul wrote:

@FRUITANDFIBRE 

One thing to note though, turning off the Hub2's WiFi on the GUI does not completely disable it.

There is currently a new firmware being rolled out over the next couple of weeks (v0.08.00.08297-PN) that fixes this problem, see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Disabling-WiFi-on-Hub-2/m-p/1898014#M33945.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@Baldrick1 

Do Plusnet Hub 2's reboot themselves automatically when they receive a firmware update, or is it just stored in its memory ready for the next natural or forced reboot?

My line is very stable, and has currently been up for 24 days - my record is 70 days - so I'm wondering if I should think about forcing a reboot at the beginning of December if it isn't showing the new firmware version by then?

My Hub2 is currently on v0.06.00.12134-PN

FRUITANDFIBRE

Many thanks for the rapid responses everyone. It appears that I had the wrong impression and that I can indeed use the Home Hub 2 so long as I turn the WiFi off on the Hub. The fact that new firmware will allow me to properly disable the WiFi is good news indeed. If this means that I can use a Deco 5, Deco 9 or alternative mesh product that would most definitely be a fix to the problem (I will mark as fix as soon as I have had confirmation!).

Baldrick1

@Mr_Paul 

The hub automatically reboots after a firmware update.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@Mr_Paul 

You are on the correct version of firmware so should automatically get the update when the system gets around to your hub. These are not all updated in one big bang and it might take a couple of weeks to get around to yours. I doubt that random reboots will have any affect, apart from potentially slowing your connection.

Moderator and Customer

Clydecol

Did this work? I want to use the same setup