Did you mean: 

PPTP VPN on my NAS Synology VPN Server through HUB2 not working

FIXED
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 408

Re: PPTP VPN on my NAS Synology VPN Server through HUB2 not working

In addition to your post, I also wonder if the NAS IP config was setup manually rather than using DHCP and a default gateway has not been assigned?

@Dan_the_Van  good shout. On .25 it's certainly out of the default dhcp range of a PN  router, so would look like it's been statically assigned. Of course, incorrect default gateway will not affect local lan traffic.

TBH  using the router to 'fix' the address is much better than a static.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

C1Rider
Grafter

Is it a specific port issue ?

have you tried http://public_address:5000 from your phone/Ipad or whatever ?

Regards..

Andy001z
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Hi

thanks all for help, still no joy.

So some further diagnostics based on suggestions.

- IP of NAS box is static, assigned on the box. The NAS has a correct default gateway of the router.

- NETSTAT confirmed default gateway as router on NAS

- NETSTAT also confirmed that 1723 port was listerning.

- I tried the suggestion of external IP from phone to port 5000 of NAS box. It worked once I put a port forward to the NAS for port : 5000. This confirms traffic is getting through to the NAS and getting back.

It seems that the VPN just isn't working. Ill try a laptop tethered to my phone to see if that works.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

@Andy001z  Have you considered one of the other other IPSec protocols  ?  PPTP is aging and unsafe and may no longer work on some mobile devices. 

Andy001z
Dabbler

I am thinking that. Just the easiest of the three to setup, or so I thought.

Andy001z
Dabbler

Update: So I tried my laptop Windows 10 VPN.

and

Using my mobile as the internet wifi and using the windows 10 client, it didn't work.

However, if I used the Win10 client via the local Wifi (so local network) but using the external IP it did setup the VPN and even did the port forwarding.

I then tried the local network connection on the mobile which failed as expected. 

It looks like my Moto Play 7 is doing something that isn't playing ball. I have checked the network options on the phone and can see nothing that would block the VPN.

Andy001z
Dabbler

Fix

Update 2:

So I gave up on PPTP it was not playing ball on the phone.

I stumbled across this really helpful video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2ck1g3_k3o that explained how to setup OPENVPN on the NAS and on the client.

Basically all worked first time. Lesson here, is one try another option sooner and two, PPTP is just old and seems to be less supported.

Thanks to all who helped.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

@Andy001z  Trying to help I installed PPTP on my DS918+ only to find neither iPad or iPhone had  PPTP as an option.

Pleased you got it going……