cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd drop in speed to streaming boxes

DampDog
Dabbler

Odd drop in speed to streaming boxes

Slightly odd one and I can't make my mind up whether a Router issue, device issue or ISP glitch?Huh

Having the same issue on two similar Roku Premier streaming devices. Both devices are exhibiting the same problem. Up until a couple of days ago I was seeing excellent "signal quality" with typical "Internet download speed" of around 36Mbps-42Mbps. It has always varied a little from test to test.

Now over the course of the past couple of days it's dropped to 5-7Mbps at best. (I noticed Netflix and Disney menus were sluggish re populating) Nothing has changed re any new equipment or location of devices throughout the home. I've checked my router and I'm seeing 72Mbps via the ADSL connection. Every other device attached to the Wifi is seeing speeds varying from 30-48Mbps depending on distance from the router.

I've restarted the Roku boxes and Router several times with no improvement. Even if I move the Roku box within 6" of the router and the signal is absolutely maxxed out, download speed still sits between 5-7Mbps. (which suggests its device device issue?)

I've downloaded a little Wifi signal app to my phone and cant see any overcrowding or signal being swamped by other Wifi networks.

Up until a few days ago it's been rock solid with no issues. I can't spot any updates that may have upset things. I've even stuck a bid in on Ebay for a Plusnet Hub 2 to switch out mine to see if that helps.

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
daviesryan35
Hooked

Re: Odd drop in speed to streaming boxes

If other devices are working fine over wireless, I don't consider you hub a problem. How far away are your Roku sticks? It's possible that they are using 2.4ghz band over 5ghz that can be prone to interference.
DampDog
Dabbler

My suspicions are that there has possibly been a minor update to one of the streaming apps and it's caused an unforeseen issue. I've moved one streaming box so it's all but sat on top of my router and it's still sat at 5Mbps. I'll keep my eye on it for a few days and see if it resolves itself.

I suspect you're correct and I'm on 2.4Ghz.

A couple of year back Netflix pushed an update that screwed everything up for a few days.

Cheers.  

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Your description points fairly clearly to a Netflix 'issue', @DampDog .

John
DampDog
Dabbler

@jab1 wrote:

Your description points fairly clearly to a Netflix 'issue', @DampDog .

I suspect you were right on the money. I checked it several times though the day yesterday and it was firmly pegged at 5-7MBps at best, as it has for a few days. Just checked it this morning and one box is now seeing 52Mbps and the other around 48Mbps. Both those figures are probably higher than I've seen in the past, even on a good day.

Only thing I noticed was that one of my streaming channels had logged me out, so I needed to sign in again. Looks a little bit like a smoking gun for a failed update or one with a glitch in it.

Thanks all for the pointers. But back to service as normal, at least for the moment.