Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO USB on Virtual Box 6.1

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

NO USB on Virtual Box 6.1

Two laptops, both running Linux Mint 20.3 MATE

Both laptops have VirutalBox 6.1 installed, together with the "Extension Pack".

I have googled this problem but cannot find the answer...  I need to run VB for one particular program  MSPUBLISHER98 for my old documents from way back when, to be able to edit them or print them, etc..

I have them on an old hard drive, permanently bonded to an old caddy, and instantly available on plugging in the usb lead to the laptop for access to other files when using the Linux MInt 20.3 O.S.  no problem,

But when I try to access any file  e.g. pictures for adding into a MSPUB98 document, the USB is not accessible.

According to the settings made before Win7 pro 64bit ( on the Virtualbox machine ) is activated. the USB2 should be active, but when the Win 7 is running it is greyed out, and cannot use the USB .

Any suggestions as to how to get it working please.

vb001.pngvb002.pngvb003.pngvb004 no usb.png

6 REPLIES 6
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: NO USB on Virtual Box 6.1

@shutter wrote:

I have googled this problem but cannot find the answer... 

Any clues here?

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN        No.

Except to remind me of all the hassle that I went through 2 years ago.  If you read through it, you will find that it eventually sorted itself out... after about 4 days of plodding about in the mire.

Still, I got nowt else to do for the next 4 days, so it will keep me off the streets, and prevent me mugging old ladies, or vandalizing phone boxes and bus shelters. 

RPMozley
Pro

You can’t change USB setup while the virtualisation is running. That would be the equivalent of switching hardware while the device is still on!

Try tapping on those tiny icons to the right of the USB page. One of those should allow you to “share” the USB with the virtual box.
That's RPM to you!!
Champnet
Aspiring Hero

I know nothing about Linux Mint and even less about your setup.

I'd be looking at moving the files from the USB to the laptop's drive then accessing from within the VB.
I'll have a look at the installation guide to see if I can help.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 83

@shutter 

if I understand correctly you want to connect a USB while win 7 running?

Screenshot 2022-09-12 130550.png

Click the device you want to attach, it will detattch if from the host system. You need to reject it before shutdown of windows or your laptop

Also have you installed 'Guest Additions' as this load drives to win 7.

HTH.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Dan_the_Van   Yes, Thanks for that reminder... (although I had stumbled on that the last time - it was not the answer to the problem ! as it seemed like the VB was not talking to the USB driver so the USB stick or the printer were not showing on the listings

. The answer was something else....  If you want to know what it was... PM me. ! Smiley

Thanks to all ( but one ) for your helpful  input. Smiley

Problem Solved !  Cheesy