Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Mint 21 with WINE 9 install query

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Linux Mint 21 with WINE 9 install query

One for the real techies........

Old laptop  Intel Celeron T3100 cpu 1.9 GHz Dual Core  3GB RAM  320GB  (SATA) HDD

Thinking about changing to a 320GB SSD and running Linux Mint 21  ( MATE ) with WINE 9 as the operating system

But not sure if it will run with only 3GB of RAM.

It is for "light internet surfing" type usage. & emails.. no "online gaming" but may be used for some on line shopping occasionally.

Can anyone forsee any problems, please...

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Linux Mint 21 with WINE 9 install query

I think 3GB RAM will be OK.  I've put Ubuntu 18.04 on 2GB RAM HP laptops from 2010 and they worked well enough.

You might want to make sure the swap drive is say 8GB when you are installing it.

I think I would be more worried whether or not the 2008 era WiFi and USB hardware is recognised ?

Couldn't you test it from a live booting flash drive ?

You could then check that the WiFi, USB, trackpad, etc work (without having to do a full install)

also you should while in the 'live' environment, install WINE and test that too

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous  Thank you for your very wise input .... much appreciate it..

Unfortunately, the machine is "remote" from me, .. but I want to do the install on an SSD to replace the HDD that is currently fitted. ( Win 7  ) . and send it for them to do the actual replacement.

I have the facility to do the install on a more modern machine... but just wanted to know if it would run on the machine with the specs quoted... and from what you have said, it probably will !..

So Thanks again.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

@shutter Does not Mint specify minimum specs/ system age?

John
shutter
Community Veteran

@jab1  Thanks for the query.... just googled it... and here is the result.

System requirements:

• 2GB RAM (4GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
  • 20GB of disk space (100GB recommended).
  • 1024×768 resolution (on lower resolutions, press ALT to drag windows with the mouse if they don’t fit in the screen).

so it would seem that this machine can run Linux Mint 21

Wink

jab1
Legend

@shutter Will it work with Celeron processors, and (if you need it) does it have 32-bit version?

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jab1 wrote:

Will it work with Celeron processors

Celeron processors are perfect for low powered Linux machines,

My current home built broadband router uses a Celeron J3455 - running the current release of pfSense

I have a pre-Celeron i486 PC running Ubuntu still in use !  -  although admittedly the security updates have long since ended

@jab1 wrote:

does it have 32-bit version?

@shutter's target laptop has a Celeron T3100 which has a 64-bit instruction set - see Intel spec sheet

In addition to my previous thoughts about WiFi chipset and trackpad compatibility on a 2008 era machine

because @shutter  is intending to do a drive swap I would also suggest checking that laptop's existing drive is SATA - as I've come across laptops from that era with IDE drives fitted !.  Assuming that the drive does have a SATA connector, @shutter should also check whether the drive interface in the BIOS can be set to AHCI or whether it can only do legacy SATA - because the new SSD will have to be formatted using the same AHCI or SATA settings as the destination laptop !.

If the laptop doesn't have an option to select AHCI, then it would be worth checking if there is a BIOS firmware update that adds AHCI compatibility (I've had to do that on several 2010 era HP laptops which still get used today)

jab1
Legend

Thanks for that info, @Anonymous .I hadn't checked the machines spec, and admit to not reading far enough into the processor requirements. Just thought it was worth checking, but @shutter is at liberty to ignore my comments. 😉

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it were my project, I'd be working on the actual machine rather than attempting a remote disk swap.

Having the machine locally at install time, the cooling fan and vents could be cleaned, the latest BIOS installed, the ageing BIOS battery replaced, swapping the 1GB SoDIMM for a matching 2GB stick to give dual-channel mode 4GB RAM, and overcome any hardware compatibility issues at install time.  Then once installed check the temperatures, the WiFi settings, and power saving features work as expected - including standby and hibernate, etc.

shutter
Community Veteran

@jab1  Thanks for your input.... not going to ignore any of it  !  Smiley Cheesy

@Anonymous   Ooooh.... you are awful.... to quote an ancient comedy actor !..Smiley

. you have just ruined a " This fixed my problem".

There is more to this than I thought.... and all good advice about the changes you suggested.

Will put the thing on "hold" until I can think of a way to make it effective.

Thanks to both for all your input.

Thumbs_Up

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter wrote:

@Anonymous   Ooooh.... you are awful.... to quote an ancient comedy actor !..Smiley

Mandy