cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make Plusnet Hub Two an access point?

FIXED
awss
Hooked

How to make Plusnet Hub Two an access point?

Plusnet Hub 2 is a great hub but it does not have several feature like Guest Wifi.

So I decided to use my old Apple AirPort Extreme and the main hub and connect it to internet via PPOE.

Then I tried to set up the hub an another WIFI but I don't see how to  make it work, if it's ever possible.

17 REPLIES 17
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: How to make Plusnet Hub Two an access point?

Fix

@awss 

I have never tried it on a Hub 2 but this should work. It does on a BT Smarthub. Note that you need to connect the Hub 2 Access Point to your router using an Ethernet cable. This must be plugged in to a LAN socket on the Hub 2 NOT the WAN. You can't use the Hub 2 as a wireless extender.

1. Connect the Hub 2 to a computer using an Ethernet cable. No other connections apart from the power. Switch on. Green light should be showing.
  2. Using a paperclip or similar hold in the factory reset until the green light goes out (around 30 seconds).
  3. Log into the Smarthub with a browser address of 192.168.1.254.
  4. Go to Advanced Settings\My Network\IPv4 Configuration
  5. Change the IP Address from 192.168.1.254 to an unused address in the 192.168.1.2-63 range, say, 92.168.1.10. This assumes that your router IP subnet is in the 192.168.1.xxx range. If it’s say a Netgear router, which uses the 192.168.0.xxx range then set it accordingly to an unused address in the fixed range
  6. As soon as you do this your display will freeze. Do not panic. Go back to the browser address bar and enter the new address of 192.168.1.10 (or whatever you selected in step 5.) This will re-establish your connection with the Hub 2.
  7. Back in the IPv4 configuration page change the DHCP server settings to Enabled: NO, Authoritative DHCP: OFF
  8. Go to the Advanced\Firewall\Configuration page. Change the Firewall to the third option, DISABLED (allow all traffic as you router will look after this).

Let us know how you get on.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

@awss 

"So I decided to use my old Apple AirPort Extreme and the main hub and connect it to internet via PPOE."

Does this mean you re using PPPoE for the Apple AirPort Extreme via a Hub Two in bridge mode or another modem device?

The second Hub two would need connecting the AirPort device not the bridge mode Hub Two.
HTH

awss
Hooked

Brilliant! I thought I knew a bit about hubs but your recipe was spot on. Many thanks.

The only thing is the orange flashing hub light but I can live with that.

I set a mesh network with 3 old reliable Apple AirPort Extreme (main router and connecting to internet via PPOE) and PNH2 is set as another WiFI network, connected to my main router via ethernet, a great addition to cover my garden.

PS: I wish I could re-edit my initial post to clarify the problem and fix typos.

d8smt
Rising Star

So this works, with a couple of modifications required. I needed a router that could support independent SSIDs for 2.4Ghz as well as 5GHz (PlusNet, need to get your routers to do this !!).  I've  just set it up on my old Hub One to allow the Hub One to be used as a wireless access point just for 2.4GHz access for old devices, like cameras and wireless speakers while using the Hub2 as the main FulFibre interface. But it also works on the Hub2 using it as an AP with a different router (in my case, a LINK DIR-883).

What needs to be added is that the old router (that is being used as a wireless access point) also needs to have its own IP address changed from 192.168.1.254 to something different so it doesn't interfere with the main router IP address - so I've changed it to 192.168.1.1.. Once all the DHCP is disabled, firewall disabled then it works fine. Just need to figure out how ot turn off those damn flashing lights on the HubOne now (I think it's a sticker job....._!

nabullett
Hooked

Hi. I have just tried this. I have 2 Plus 2 Hubs.

I got as far as this step:

Change the IP Address from 192.168.1.254 to an unused address in the 192.168.1.2-63 range, say, 92.168.1.10. 

Unfortunately, it doesn't save the change.

When I click save it gives me the "are you sure?" message, then after whirring a while goes back to the network settings page.

When I click on the IP setting again, it's reverted to 254.

How do I make it remember the changes?

Thanks in advance.

Baldrick1

@nabullett 

At the same time as the are you sure message I would expect Yes/No tabs. Have you had a good look for them?

Moderator and Customer

nabullett
Hooked

Yes, I click on the Yes tab, then it does appear to be saving, returns to the main Network settings menu.

So it appears to save, but when I go back in it's reverted to 254.

Baldrick1

When you say when I go back in I presume that you get locked out once it finishes saving? What happens if you try to log back in using 192.168.1.10?

You are doing this totally disconnected from the Internet, that is, no possible route from the computer connected to the hub and the outside world over either Ethernet ot wireless?

All I can think is that the hub is going into a sulk and factory resetting. This could possibly be happening if there's a route out to the Internet and the hub is contacting the Plusnet configuration server .

Moderator and Customer

nabullett
Hooked

Sorry for not replying, I was out.

No, it doesn't lock me out.

I go into Advanced Settings, My Network, IPv4 Configuration, and in IP Address I change the last digit to 10.

An orange box comes up saying changes must be saved, I click save, click yes on the "are you sure?" box. A little circle whirs away at the top right then I'm returned to the My Network settings page, on the My Devices tab.

I'm not frozen out. If I go back in to IPv4 Configuration settings, it's reverted to 254.

If I try to log in using 192.168.1.10, it just doesn't connect.

I've also tried turning off DHCP server but it doesn't save that change either.

Baldrick1

@nabullett 

Did you check this out:

You are doing this totally disconnected from the Internet, that is, no possible route from the computer connected to the hub and the outside world over either Ethernet ot wireless?

Moderator and Customer

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@nabullett 

The best advice for this is use a wired connection.

If you have to use a wireless connection turn off the primary Hub Two (the one with internet connection) before you start. This will stop any chance of PC being used to configure the access point connecting to the wrong Hub GUI during the Hub reconfiguration.

Hope this makes sense?

nabullett
Hooked

Yep, I turned off my wifi on the laptop, it's only connected to the 2nd hub via cable.

nabullett
Hooked

Thanks. I'll have to give that a go when the family aren't using it Smiley

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Looking at the IPv4 settings I see this setting

"Authoritative DHCP" = If your device is using the wrong IP address, the Plusnet Hub will try to correct it so the connection doesn't break. I'm wondering if this is returning the IP back to 192.168.1.254. Try turning this off before changing the IP Address Hub.