cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Hub 2 not recognising TP-Link TL-SG116 Switch

cib24

Home Hub 2 not recognising TP-Link TL-SG116 Switch

I have joined Plusnet and was provided with the Home Hub 2. My Wi-Fi works well - no complaints, but it does not seem to want to recognise and allow internet via ethernet with my TP-Link TL-SG116 network switch. It is essential that I find a fix for this as the switch connects to 12 different wired devices in my home including my TP-Link Deco Mesh system throughout the house. 

I have set the switch up as per instructions and I think the Home Hub 2 event logs are showing an attempt to connect followed by a disconnection. 

Attached are photos that show the switch, the switch instructions and the Home Hub 2 event logs. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I don't need to buy a separate router altogether?IMG_8134.pngIMG_8140.jpegIMG_8141.jpeg

5 REPLIES 5
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

Re: Home Hub 2 not recognising TP-Link TL-SG116 Switch

If you look at the error messages carefully you will see that it is a wireless device attempting to connect, 5G and wl0 is the clue.
A switch does not necessarily need an IP address to work, only if it's a managed switch would it need an IP address, do you have a wired device you can connect to the switch?
Edit: have you connected the switch to a LAN port?
Do not connect to the WAN port
greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The green light on the cabled switch port could suggest a gig connction. The LEDs go orange of 10/100 meg.

The TL-SG116 is an unmanaged switch.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

I have three tp-link switches in my network setup and none of them show within the hub.
As Dan mentioned, the hub2 only has 3 active ethernet ports - port 4 is the WAN port used for Full Fibre connections.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

As others have said you wouldn't expect the TP-Link Ethernet Switch to appear in the list of devices on the Hub2.

The picture of the Ethernet Switch appears to show just one port connected (it seems to be a working 1gb connection) I assume that is connected to the Hub2... is anything else connected to the switch?   

What devices have you connected to the Ethernet Switch, what colour lights showed on the switch and what error messages did you see either on the device or on the Hub2?

(apologies but I don't have a Hub2 to compare with, but I have a number of TP-Link switches and never had a problem with my previous Hub2 or any other routers.)  Does the Hub2 show lights on each of the LAN ports when the cables are plugged in?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

Does the Hub2 show lights on each of the LAN ports when the cables are plugged in?

The Hub Two does not have LAN port lights., you would need to observe the event log to see a cable being plugged in.