cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet? tp-link?

quisquis01

Ethernet? tp-link?

I moved the router for better signal downstairs, which worked, but I lost the wifi and ethernet signal upstairs. It's a windows 10 laptop with a couple of tp-link units that use the mains wiring. (Most of ths is in Klingon to me 😞   ) It kept saying Unidentified network and apparently it wasn't getting an IP address. I found a youtube vid which showed how to give it a fixed IP,  (which is 192.168.0.210 if it's relevant). And I have got the wifi signal back. Horah, but very slow. The ethernet (or is it powerline, I haven't a clue) still won't work. There's a dialogue which asks for the IP (got that!) But then it asks for 1) subnet prefix length, 2) Gateway, 3) preferred dns and 4) alternative dns.   I might have the dns numbers - 212.159.13.49 and 50. But can anyone tell me the Subnet prefix length or the Gateway pls, or where tobfind them.  tia

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Ethernet? tp-link?

@quisquis01 

You are getting yourself into a real knot here.You don't need to touch these settings with which you are erroneously fiddling.

If this is all Klingon then your best bet is to factory reset both Tp-Link units by pushing a paperclip or similar into the reset hole and keeping the switch closed until it resets, I would give it 20 seconds or so. It should then work as an Ethernet link, don't worry about wireless speeds at this point. If the link speed is slow then read this https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Distributing-Data-around-Larger-Proper...

If this works fine and you still have wireless problems then read the manual and try a different wireless channel.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

quisquis01

Hello, thanks for reply. Done a reset yonks ago. Spent the whole of this afternoon on the tp chatline trying lots of other things. They happily declare the ethernet is connected but refuse to allow internet. (Compooter sez no) There aren't any clues about why there is no internet. I've given up on ethernet, going to try a wifi extender since wifi is present if grindingly slow. 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

If you are using a Plusnet router the IP address you have chosen (192.168.0.210) will give you problems.

Try changing it to 192.168.1.210.

quisquis01

Hi, thanks for reply. I might try it later. Frankly I'm too old to bother any more with this stuff, it has to be plug n play or go without. I think the clue is in tp's choice of printing information in white ink on white plastic, it's never going to be easy! Cheers