cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN issue with "www.epsonconnect.com"

C4RL05160

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN issue with "www.epsonconnect.com"

Hi, 

I'm getting this message "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" whenever I try to access www.epsonconnect.com. This happens on all browsers (Opera, Edge, Chrome).

This has also disconnected my Epson printer from the epsonconnect remote printing service. 

If I Hotspot from my mobile phone to my printer, it connects as it should allowing for remote printing, so I'm guessing it could be an issue with plusnet servers or something. 

How do I resolve this issue as I regularly use remote printing for work. 

Moderator's note:
Duplicate post removed.
14 REPLIES 14
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN issue with "www.epsonconnect.com"

@C4RL05160 

For information - this issue has been escalated by another SU.

Local testing has identified that the name servers for epsonconnect.com [ns1/2.cdnetdns.net] are unresponsive, thus it is not possible to establish a connection.  See Ns1.cdnetdns.net down? Current problems and status. (downforeveryoneorjustme.com) 

The problem is wider than Plusnet users and the matter is under investigation.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

That's interesting @Townman  I can connect to the Epson Connect site with no problem. I'm using Google (8.8.8.8) as my primary since the recent Plusnet DNS problem.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

Yes,  AIUI if the recursive DNS server doesnt need to renew its cache, then it can resolve without recourse to the authoritative server for the domain. So some will resolve. and  others not.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Indeed - the ability for Google to resolve the address has been noticed, so given that the name server is uncontactable, it must be using a cached resolution.

There is even more confusion; on my phone over 4G (on EE) I can connect to the Epson site too, however when I attempt to run network diagnostics from the phone, it would not resolve that address.  I am flummoxed!!

There is also a report of it being connectable on 3 mobile too.

There is evidence that there is missing routing data to the name server in the internet!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

It may not help - but I have no problems connecting to the site, however, I am obviously not using any BT network, as I use Zen, who have their own routing, over their own network.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Try pinging the name server.  Different networks being able to connect, whilst others cannot is a function of the age of cached name resolutions.

The issue is not connection to the site, it is the inability to connect to the site's name servers in the presence of a stale DNS resolution.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Townman wrote:

See Ns1.cdnetdns.net down? Current problems and status. (downforeveryoneorjustme.com) 

Not sure a downforeveryone check is relevant here as I think it will be looking for an HTTP(S) site e.g. a check against ns1.force9.net will also show as down (when it's not).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jab1
Legend

I can ping the ns1 server, but the times seem a bit long - in the region of 180-270ms

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Still unable to reach 163.171.252.10 here.

jab1
Legend

Me too, if I use that IP, rather than a 'name', it fails to connect.

John
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

FWIW
My connection:
Broadband IP address: 87.***.***.**
Default gateway: 172.16.17.41
Primary DNS: 212.159.6.9
Secondary DNS: 212.159.13.49

http://www.epsonconnect.com/
and/or
https://www.epsonconnect.com/

And both work absolutely fine here

163.171.252.10 gives the same issues as the others have reported

According to my browser: their IP is 125.1.80.85

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@DS 

That is not entirely unreasonable.  Though we see two DNS IP addresses there are dozens of DNS server instances behind those load balancer IPs.  Therefore is it reasonable (in edge conditions) that some of those of the servers might have not-yet-stale DNS resolutions for the Epson domain.

My gate way is 195.166.130.251 with an 84.*.*.* static IP address, which infers a different routing in Plusnet space than would a dynamic IP address.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@Townman wrote:snipped

which infers a different routing in Plusnet space than would a dynamic IP address.

Another FWIW - Yep dynamic here. I was going to have a static when my son was living at home and was a keen gamer, but the 'flooding' his mates had kicking them off put me off.

Also, and I'm way out my depth here, Epson show this is it helps those more knowledgeable than moi:

Support ending for TLS1.0/1.1.

Due to security improvement, this web site and remote print driver will discontinue support TLS 1.0/1.1 as of October 31, 2023.
Please see below links for details.

Thank you for your understanding.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

FWIW it would appear that the peer routing to ns1.cdnetdns.net has been fixed, thereby enabling DNS resolution of epsonconnect.com