cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back Scatter - cherished personal domain

Brock23
Hooked

Back Scatter - cherished personal domain

On 31/1/23 I had thought I'd sorted the back scatter issue (via help from the forum). Unfortunately it's returned in the last few days. Do I sit this out or change my prefix currently mail@cherisheddomain,com  ? Or is there a further fix I can carry out ? 

Can I continue to reasonably assume that this is not a security issue. I've run Anti virus software and nothing has been detected. However, Plusnet suspended my mail@cherisheddomain.com citing potentially a compromised account and spamming activity. It appears that this was a generic email but has got me concerned again ! 

(My cherished domain is hosted by Plusnet)

Thanks

B

Tags (2)
1 REPLY 1
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Back Scatter - cherished personal domain

Back scatter is not something you can control. Sadly it’s possible for anyone with a bit of know how to send emails as though they came from you@yourdomain.com - it’s called address spoofing.

Such emails sent to other harvested email addresses will hit addresses to which for a host of reasons cannot be delivered. Those non-delivery reports will be sent to your email address, not the sending service.

SPF is a mitigation method to inhibit address spoofing, but to be effective the receiving email service needs to assert the SPF restrictions. That you cannot control, even if you have configured a SPF record.

Assuming SPF is all in place … the spam non-delivery notification will simply be more back scatter. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatter_(email)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.