cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After installing the Xyxel VMG3925-B10C Router I lost contact with my Netgear RNDuov2.0 NAS computer

FIXED
ukbobboy
Dabbler

After installing the Xyxel VMG3925-B10C Router I lost contact with my Netgear RNDuov2.0 NAS computer

Dear Forum Members

First a preliminary intro to my problem:-

I used to have a Sagemcom F@st2704N router that supplied me with my ADSL Internet, wi-fi and connectivity for my 3 x  Netgear RNDuov2.0 NAS computers, without any problems other than becoming unreliable with my Internet connection.

I was advised by the CSC consultants that I should upgrade to full fibre but that I would keep my Sagemcom router, but a little later on I found out that I had to get a new ISP supplied router, i.e. the Zyxel VMG3925-B10C.

Now the problem, for which I may need super user help, once the Zyxel was set up I found that my NAS connection I had with my Sagemcom was completely lost using the Zyxel, and nobody at the support desk can tell me why or offer any kind of solution. And the sad thing is, I was advised by a CSC consultant to come here because they were not trained in how to use Zyxel's admin facilities.

Here's a little more info, what I am after is to be able to use windows "File Explorer" from my PC to access the files on my NAS computers, just as I used to when using the Sagemcom. Also, I am reasonably certain that there is a setting or two, within the Zyxel's admin facilities, that would ultimately re-grant me access to my NAS files but I really have no idea which settings to tweak or amend. And what is even worse, the PDF manual I downloaded is almost next to useless.

OK, I would be grateful if any one out there can suggest or help with a solution, but if my post is unclear on certain details or more info is required then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Also please note, I'll be happy to receive any information about the Zyxel VMG3925-B10C admin facilities.

With regards

UK Bob

PS. I forgot to mention that my NAS computers are connected to the Zyxel by ethernet cables.

23 REPLIES 23
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Re: After installing the Xyxel VMG3925-B10C Router I lost contact with my Netgear RNDuov2.0 NAS comp

@ukbobboy From the info you have provided, it sounds like you are a JLP customer -is this correct?

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: After installing the Xyxel VMG3925-B10C Router I lost contact with my Netgear RNDuov2.0 NAS comp

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Technical Help

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

@ukbobboy are your NAS systems set to static IP ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I suspect the solution lies in the configuration of the NAS devices rather than the new router.

The Sagemcom router has a default gateway/IP address of 192.168.1.254, whereas the Zyxel unit uses 192.168.1.1.

Are you able to check the config of your NAS devices for references to a 'default gateway' address? If this is currently set to 192.168.1.254, then you will need to change it to 192.168.1.1 else the NAS devices will not be able to route to the Internet. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ukbobboy
Dabbler

Dear Forum Members

I must first thank you all for your quick replies and answer each of your queries as they were received.

jab1

Hi John, the answer to your query is yes, I am a John Lewis customer and, for the first time, I feel like I've been totally abandoned by them.

Hi Baldrick1

As I am new to this forum, I will thank you for moving my "problem" to a more appropriate topic heading.

Hi MisterW

All the IP addresses on my home network are fluid, i.e non-static, although this has caused me very minor problems in the past, while using the Sagemcom router, nothing compares to the limited and sometimes over complicated (almost useless) information I am presented with when looking at the Zyxel admin screen.

bobpullen

Hi Bob, your reply may contain the solution to my problem but I cannot apply that solution because I am unable to access the dash board, i.e. the admin screen, on my NAS computers, and there I now believe lays the conundrum. I cannot access the NAS's dash board to test or try out your solution.

However, while going through your reply, an idea (or more likely half an idea) has occured to me that I will try out, I'll get back to the forum to tell you how I got on, once I've crystallize my idea into a plan of action.

I should be back by tomorrow, until then

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Dabbler

Dear Forum Members, especially bobpullen

My half an idea was to use an old btowser to try and log into one of my NAS's dashboard, the admin screens for my NAS, but I was unable to find a usable pre-Win10 browser that would install.  Onre the advice of a super user from another forum, I tried to use Edge in Internet Explorer mode but I got the same error message I got from all my other modern browsers that I have tried (see attahed screen print).

bobpullen

Bob, is it possible to change the IP address on the Zyxel router from 192.168.1.1 to the Sagemcom's 192.168.1.254 without any ill effects?

Awaiting your reply

UK Bob

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Yes, it is possible.

You'd need to log into the router at 192.168.1.1 and click the arrow bottom-right of the LAN details: -

z_lan.jpg

This will take you here: -

z_lan_detail.jpg

Enter details as follows and then save the changes: -

IP address: 192.168.1.254
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Beginning IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Ending IP Address: 192.168.1.253

Once saved, your browser will likely lose connection with the router. I'd suggest at this point waiting a few minutes and then switching the power to the router off/back on again. Once the router has reconnected, you should find that you are then able to access it again, but this time using the address 192.168.1.254.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

ukbobboy
Dabbler

bobpullen

Hi Bob

I will definitely try out your suggestion, but right now I am as nervous as a bride on her wedding night because there is so much at stake, i.e trying to recover my computer's usefulness and the recovery of my databases.

Hopefully, I'll get back to you with some good news (but knowing my luck [bad and none]).

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Dabbler

bobpullen

Hi Bob

You are the man, did not expect your solution to work, especially when my Zyxel router seem to reject, i.e. would not accept, the changes. But somehow it accepted the changes you recommended without any type of acknowledgement that it had.

However, on checking my PC this morning, my network connected with my NAS files (WOW) and I'm stunned, bowled over and over the hill.

Bob, I cannot thank you enough for supplying such a simple and straight forward solution, a solution that the CSC tech jockies on the help desk could not supply.

Again Bob, you are the man.

UK Bob

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Glad to hear you're back up and running Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

ukbobboy
Dabbler

Hi Fellow Forum Members

The Zyxel router is a router that just keeps on giving, and that is nothing good, let me explain.

After applying the solution, supplied by bobpullen, I found that I could no longer re-enter the Zyxel's admin facilities, see attached screen print, although this as yet is no big deal I do envisage a time when I will need to access Zyxel's admin at some time in the future.  However, due to this new fresh hell, I am effectively locked out of the Zyxel's admin screen, so does anyone out there know how to fix or work around this new uniquely Zyxel problem?

TIA to anyone that can crack this one.

UK Bob

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I assume you're entering the admin password from the label on the router and have not previously changed this, or created any other admin users etc?

The lock out will be time-gated. I can't recall what the default value is but do know that the restriction is temporary.

One way to work around it would be to factory reset, however you will need to repeat what you did to change the IP address/DHCP pool to work with your NAS.

Might be an idea to leave it a while and try again tomorrow.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

ukbobboy
Dabbler

Cheers Bob

I thought this error was time limited also, so I left it alone yesterday and tried again today but I know believe that error is now permanent. If you recall, I said that the Zyxel admin screen seemingly rejected the solution you suggested but, only after exiting the screen, it did save and execute the solution.

However, now the admin screen has locked me out and the "error message" is in error itself because I do not and never had used multiple tries to enter the admin screen, I simply copy and paste the password from the note I made when I first got the router (and double checked with that eye icon).

I am guessing that I'll have to obtain the universal password from the help desk, that's if they're willing to give it to me.

I'll have to check, until then

UK Bob

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

I recall getting into this situation with a 3925, it seemed to be due to letting the admin interface timeout rather than logging out. I'm pretty sure that a factory reset was the only way out. Once you've got back in , then I suggest the first thing is to create a 2nd user with admin access. That way if one gets into this situation you have another way of getting in and reseting the other user.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.