Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatible routers?

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Compatible routers?

Quote from: michaelm713
Only issue with that is that I will have to run the YouView box on the non GigE port directly from the home hub. Will there be sufficient bandwidth for that?

Yes this will be fine and actually is the recommended way of doing it because...
One thing I recall from previous testing with similar testing was that once tuned in to a multicast channel, the wifi ....was destroyed! Not even able to browse!

This is a problem that IGMP snooping sorts out.  If you connect your Youview box to a network switch (or other device) that doesn't implement IGMP snooping you'll end up flooding your network with the multicast data going to every device downstream of the switch.  IGMP Snooping makes sure that the multicast is only broadcast to devices that have sent an IGMP Join to register their interest in it.
michaelm713
Dabbler

Problem then!
Sorry I should have explained it better. The YouView box will be connected to the HH3 via a  16Port gigabit switch that sits behind the TV. Don't think the switch supports IGMP snooping. It is a TPLonk one. Does this mean the wifi issue will be present? Any way to avoid it?
pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: pwatson
If you connect your Youview box to a network switch (or other device) that doesn't implement IGMP snooping you'll end up flooding your network with the multicast data going to every device downstream of the switch. 

As long as your Airport Express (if that's what you're using as an access point) isn't plugged into the switch as well you should be OK (as long as the HH3 does implement IGMP snooping of course)
michaelm713
Dabbler

Not plugged into the same switch.
Will use one of the non GBit ports of the hh3 to the 16port GBit switch that should take care of the YouView and all other gadgets under the TV and then link the Airport to the GBit port of the HH3 and turn the HH3 wifi off. I will then run one further cable from the Airport to the NAS and home office upstairs to a separate TPLink switch.
This means the living room setup won't be on GBit but not bothered about that as should be enough bandwidth.
Only issue now is the NAS will have to sit on the DMZ area of the HH3!
Think this will solve all my problems with minimum hardware investment other than the £50 fee.
Thank you all!
Michael
adie:quote
michaelm713
Dabbler

Well, just to contradict everything I said above.....I found the Billion BiPAC 8800AXL as a warehouse deal on Amazon and went for it.
I am hoping it will work out of the box but if you can suggest a config then please let me know. If all works well I can ditch the open reach modem and just have one device for all. I have two Apple airport express' in the house too which should be able to extend the network just fine.
Will keep the extreme around for a little while to make sure all works well. If anybody wants it...pm me and save me the eBay Fees!
Also, as mentioned elsewhere, I was happy to recontract with Plusnet for two years and they waived the £50 fee and gave me a small discount on my broadband which almost cancelled out the £5 monthly fee. That worked for me as service has been great to date.
Router should be here tomorrow. Still waiting on the box to arrive.
Any suggestions for the Billion router please fire away!
pwatson
Rising Star

There's a guide for the 8800NL attached (downloaded from the Billion UK Forum) which should get you going.  The basic principle with Billion routers is to create an additional WAN connection (as the multicast IPTV isn't delivered over the PPP connection to Plusnet), setup IGMP snooping, multicast proxy and IPTV  join behaviour.
Hope this helps and do report back when you get the router working Wink
michaelm713
Dabbler

Thanks. Will report back as instructed!
Adie:quote
michaelm713
Dabbler

Would anyone choose the TP Link Archer C9 over the Billion above? Just noticed it is £20 cheaper and it seems to be ready from the box with no config needed for multicast.
michaelm713
Dabbler

Hi
Just a quick update. Set up the Billion BiPAC 8800AXL today and network seems to be working ok.
I have not yet received the YouView box from PlusNet but once I do i will report back.
The settings pwatson provided were identical for my router too so fingers crossed all will be well soon.
Thanks again for all your help.
dg06
Grafter

@michaelm713 If you followed the guide from the Billion forum it will work just fine.  Wink
michaelm713
Dabbler

Thanks
Still no box but router has been a bit too configurable compared to the Apple Extreme.
Wifi and Ethernet is all fine...but my Synology Nas does not set it up automatically which means I cannot access my shares on my Mac and unable to do time machine backups. I am sure it is a quick fix and I can always forward ports manually but that would be a pain....
It's unrelated to this discussion but thought I would give some general feedback.
Raised a ticket with Billion and hopefully will hear back soon.
I am surprised though as the router is UPNP.
Perhaps I should send it back and opt for the Archer C9 instead....but I would rather give support a chance!
(Disclaimer.....I do work for application support myself but I confess I know nothing about detail network config! I could probably understand the lingo....but not technical in any way!)
mediamonkey
Dabbler

Thanks all!
If I do end up going for the Billion router/modem sigested earlier, does any one know the configuration required to make multicast work?

I have a few of the devices you do, wifi / apple tv / and of course the plusnet youview box that I got last week.
I was also able to test a couple of different routers with it.
Fritzbox 7490 (VDSL router) , and Billion Bipac 7800DX (triple WAN router - using the BT VDSL box)
The Fritz!box current firmware version 6.20 will not support multicast without major config changes - and because my German isn't that good I'm waiting for a firmware upgrade (or may downgrade my version to test tonight - as I think they broke it in the 6.20 firmware)
The Billion router works with a small config change.
You add an additional Eth interface, call it iptv (or whatever) type=bridging.. as in my screenshot.
then on your actual wan service enable IGMP Multicast Proxy at the very bottom of the config.
You'll know it's working when you can get Animal Planet and Syfy  Cheesy
I found this post on the bt forums to be really helpful with a  lot of useful links in it..
https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Using-a-3rd-party-router-for-Multicast/td-p/1048582
michaelm713
Dabbler

Thanks
I am still waiting for my YouView box as it seems it was lost or something along those lines.
However I am confident the router will be fine. Pwatson attached s file earlier on in this thread that was provided by Billion Support and the steps are exactly the same and easy to follow.
Billion support were excellent by the way as I had some other issue connecting my Synology Nas and they asked me for a list of ports that Synology required and they created a dummy port forwarding screen shot for me and all I had to do was copy it.
All that over email and they were responding within minutes.
Persuaded to stay with them I think!
michaelm713
Dabbler

Well
The box has just been received. Connected to the Internet and tuned OK but i am getting the dreaded ipc6023 error on the Internet Channels
I already had applied the settings to 8800AXL and restarted the box for good measure.
What gives?
auto98
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

To test whether the issue is with the router or the signal getting into the house, you are going to need to check with the router we have sent you out.  If that works (you may need to do a software update on the YouView box once you have installed the new router) then we know it is router configuration, if it doesn't then it may be something else.
I've checked your connection, and it does look very like it may be the router, as we haven't logged any connections from the set top box yet, and we've found that this is nearly always router related.