cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would I want to "upgrade" to a slower service with fewer features?

jon47
Dabbler

Why would I want to "upgrade" to a slower service with fewer features?

Logged into my account today to see an "upgrade offer".  It's 32p a month cheaper.  So I thought, what the heck, I'll have a look.

The "upgrade" takes away my phone line, switching me from Fibre Extra (aka FTTC) to "Fibre" (aka SoGEA) - and in doing so reduces the estimated speed by 11Mbps.

Really?  Slower speeds, no phone line (though I confess I don't use it much) - and this is an "upgrade"?  Sorry, not by any rational definition of the word can this be an upgrade.

What's worse, in the FAQ PlusNet says: "Phone lines will be switched off in the future as part of the national network upgrades."  but this is entirely inconsistent with what OFCOM says - Ofcom's take is that the voice network is going digital, and

"Your provider should arrange to supply the equipment needed to keep you connected

If you need any new equipment to make your landline phone work – for example, a new router, new telephone handset or if you need a new broadband service installed, your provider will arrange this."

So it seems to me that PlusNet are actively misleading their customers into dropping phone lines before they have to start spending time and money on providing a working digital phone service.

So PlusNet - what's your agenda here?  why are you offering downgrades dressed up as an "upgrade"?  why are you misleading customers into thinking that the landline phone network is going away when it isn't?

Jon

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

Re: Why would I want to "upgrade" to a slower service with fewer features?

Your provider should arrange to supply the equipment needed to keep you connected

If you need any new equipment to make your landline phone work – for example, a new router, new telephone handset or if you need a new broadband service installed, your provider will arrange this."

Whilst that is true IF the supplier offers a phone service, there is no obligation for them to offer one !

Plusnet seem to have decided that it's not cost effective to do so and that the vast majority of their customers do not want .one

no phone line (though I confess I don't use it much) -

That says it all ...

As regards the slower speed estimate when changing from FTTC  to SoGEA, we'll its the same broadband service on the same line so it will achieve the same speed. It just seems the estimates are made differently  these days...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

It will be interesting to learn what the plans are, with FTTC, to provide that last link down the phone line to a property.

Or will the copper lines be left in place for just that? I can't foresee FTTP in my village any time soon. It isn't that long ago FTTC was provided.

If the copper remains, someone will have to maintain/repair it for the many depending on where they live.

"Phone lines will be switched off in the future as part of the national network upgrades."  See above re FTTC. I suspect there are still places where fibre isn't yet available.

"

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

Or will the copper lines be left in place for just that?

Yes the D-side (cabinet to premises) copper will remain, and Openreach will continue to maintain them, funded by the SoGEA (FTTC without landline) charges.

They will almost certainly not actually remove the E-Side (cabinet to exchange) copper lines, even after PSTN switch off, but at least they wont need to maintain them!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@MisterW wrote:

They will almost certainly not actually remove the E-Side (cabinet to exchange) copper lines, even after PSTN switch off, ...

But I'd bet somebody else will, causing all sorts of damage in the process, i.e. 'the usual suspects'! Wink

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

@MisterW wrote:

Or will the copper lines be left in place for just that?

Yes the D-side (cabinet to premises) copper will remain, and Openreach will continue to maintain them, funded by the SoGEA (FTTC without landline) charges.

OR will also have to support the exchange-only lines where neither FTTP nor FTTC are not available (e.g. my area) - or just stop providing a service to the affected addresses.

francoise-hardy
Grafter

Just a few weeks back, speaking to an advisor on live chat as was leaving (now left), I was querying a Great Offer shown in my account page if I renewed.

However, on discussing it, I was then offered an extra couple of pounds off as temptation if I renewed straight away on the call, bringing it to around what my expiring contract was costing me in total. The penny dropped. Thing was, unlike my original contract, the full calls package was now an extra cost on top! It was also still rubbish fttc at around 33Mbps download (fastest openreach currently offer, hopefully upgrading to full fibre by December 2026 as shown on their own site availibility page) and would also have the rip off apr + cpi increase part way through.

Great deal? Rubbish.

I have now moved to YouFibre for 150Mbps up AND down with absolutely no increases in the 24 month term and renewal will then be offered at same cost as what a new customer gets after my 24 months.

They do seem to be getting a lot closer to what bt prices are these days. Gone are the GREAT deals like i used to get and was also happy staying with them. I had been with them 20 years btw.