cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with my Plusnet account, tried everything for weeks, any ideas anyone?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 407

Re: Problem with my Plusnet account, tried everything for weeks, any ideas anyone?

I've just looked, it's switched off, so I'm getting all traffic, but would not wireshark have picked up lots of traffic if this was a problem?

No unless, as Jelv said earlier, you configure the router to forward all incoming traffic to a PC and run Wireshark on that. Otherwise the firewall in the router will block it BUT PlusNet will still count it as traffic. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Problem with my Plusnet account, tried everything for weeks, any ideas anyone?

Quote from: jethro10
Quote from: jelv
Have you tried setting the Plusnet firewall to block the traffic coming in? https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall&firewallPage=advanced (don't forget you have to do a disconnect/reconnect after changing that setting)

I've just looked, it's switched off, so I'm getting all traffic, but would not wireshark have picked up lots of traffic if this was a problem? PN certainly havn't offered this as a solution, infact I was unaware I had a PN firewall  Embarrassed  I'll switch it on right now - you never know I guess.

Just had a thought about what you've said here. Given the nature of the problem you have I think it's pretty shocking that Plusnet haven't raised the idea of setting their firewall before now!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jeff,
I'm going to look into setting up a new account for you. I'll get back to you on here or give you a call later when I iron a few things out I have to check first.
Jojo Smiley
jethro10
Grafter

Do you ever use P2P? If so other users will be trying to connect to you for some time after you have closed your P2P software even if all the PCs are off. That would only be stopped by turning off the router. Again wiresharking the traffic coming in to the router would be the only way to find out. If this is something similar is the reason a new account isn't going to help.

Nope, never used P2P stuff, hmmm, possibly once several years ago, getting a new ISO of a linux system. not likely to be a problem?
I had though a bit it might be attacks on my address, and incoming traffic, but I can't see any traffic!! So a bit of a loss.

I know once or twice in the past Plusnet have arranged a time for a user to have all his PC's off (but router on) and they have wiresharked all the traffic from their end.

To me, It seems very strange that "they monitor" my traffic as they say, but can't tell me simply what is going on. seems like they have no real sensible detailed data.
If they could have done a 10 minute monitor from their end weeks ago, it may have been solved now, infact it's so strange, I wonder why they haven't done it - this concerns me quite a bit actually.

I don't think the locked down router is going to make a scrap of difference as it looks like it's incoming traffic that's the issue.

Ah, I beg to differ, it will stop them asking me ever day "have you disabled your wifi? ....." AAGGGGHHHH!!
But joking aside, I see it will do nothing also, but if they keep blaming my router, well now they can't any more  Wink
Jeff
jethro10
Grafter

Quote from: jethro10
Have you tried setting the Plusnet firewall to block the traffic coming in? https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall&firewallPage=advanced (don't forget you have to do a disconnect/reconnect after changing that setting)

I've just looked, it's switched off, so I'm getting all traffic, but would not wireshark have picked up lots of traffic if this was a problem? PN certainly havn't offered this as a solution, infact I was unaware I had a PN firewall  Embarrassed  I'll switch it on right now - you never know I guess.

Just had a thought about what you've said here. Given the nature of the problem you have I think it's pretty shocking that Plusnet haven't raised the idea of setting their firewall before now!

Yeah, well, until I posted on this forum, I was treat like a child and my problem was given polite interest only.
I've set the firewall to high, and my wife is at home, so I called her to re-set the router, so lets see.
SOOO if this traffic is blocked at PN rather than me, as it was designated for me, is this still counted as my traffic, or do PN absorb the data useage.
In other words, if this was the issue, would the firewall reduce my accounts traffic? I'm not sure it would stop it being recorded against me as it's purpose is "protection" is it not? I guess it depends where they decide my traffic would be my usage?
I'd be interested to know this actually....
Jeff
jethro10
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Hi Jeff,
I'm going to look into setting up a new account for you. I'll get back to you on here or give you a call later when I iron a few things out I have to check first.
Jojo Smiley

Thanks, my wife is at home most of today, if you need anything done.
Jeff
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jeff,
I've just sent you a PM
Jojo Smiley
jethro10
Grafter

and I've just replied   Smiley
Jeff
dick:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Before you switch account I'd wait to see if the firewall makes a difference. It should stop the traffic at a point before it is measured.
jethro10
Grafter

Yeah, whatever account works, it will be useful to know if the firewall stopped it all, both for PN and for me.
Jeff
dick:quote
jethro10
Grafter

Well events got ahead of me, we got a new account before being able to test the firewall.
However on the face of it, it seems like it's been fixed. Been away for a day and night, and getting just a few Kb usage, per day.
I'll cross my fingers for a few more days and report back here, but looks good at the moment.
Jeff
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Is the firewall on or off on the new account?
jethro10
Grafter

The new account has the firewall switched off, and I've not touched it.
I did ask a question on my old account, that who "pays" for the traffic if the firewall is switched on, and it blocks stuff.
Their support person said all traffic destined for my account is against my allowance, whether the firewall blocks it or not.
but now were 3 day's into the new account, with no firewall, and no problems. So looking increasingly like a problem with the account.
The old account still exists, so if plusnet want to solve this for their own benefit, they can set up one of their own staff with the account and take it from there.
So at the moment, cautiously optimistic.
Jeff
jethro10
Grafter

Well still running Ok, so I'll call it a day on this thread.
thanks Joanne for setting up a new account manually, I can see it was hard work.
Shame on how some of the other folk treat my issue though and it took asking on this community space to get something done.
Still, sorted now.
Thanks
Jeff
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jeff,
Glad to hear it's all sorted. I can see how frustrating it got, but I don't think I've ever seen this issue before, so not something that was easy to spot. Thanks for your patience though, it's much appreciated.
Jojo Smiley