cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet will give your personal details to ACS Law with not informing you!!

Dom
Grafter

Re: Plusnet will give your personal details to ACS Law with not informing you!!

So come on then PN, spill the beans - are you planning on sending anyone to the hearing on 4th October? You know you want to!

Edited for typo.
foxtrck
Grafter

It will likely be two monkeys, a dog with a top hat and a talking teapot as such is the fairytale world of PN and BT.
adie:quote
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: Toolbox
I think/hope Plusnet (Not BT) turn up in the next court NPO but with a team of legal advisers and a few IT professionals.
You need solicitors or barristers to show up, not any old employee.  If Plusnet don't have any solicitors on their payroll, and BT handle all their legal matters (in the same way as an independent firm of solicitors would) then the only way for Plusnet to be there, is for BT to be there on their behalf.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: foxtrck
It will likely be two monkeys, a dog with a top hat and a talking teapot as such is the fairytale world of PN and BT.

I'd volunteer me and Bob, but I'm not sure which of those we'd be classed as.  Undecided
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I guess we will all find out on the 4th Of October, Anyone thinking of leaving Plusnet I would think carefully because the damage has already been done and running away wont stop anything.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
foxtrck
Grafter

Quote from: Steve
I guess we will all find out on the 4th Of October, Anyone thinking of leaving Plusnet I would think carefully because the damage has already been done and running away wont stop anything.

Yes well I would but im either faced with a huge disconnection charge or staying here and possibly having my details made public again and again.
I possibly have a much stronger case for leaving as I was actually directly affected by this, and have been offered no apology, complete explanation or compensation for this royal f*** up.
I guess the only resort is making complaints to all major bodies, trading standards, ICO, BT,PN etc....
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Voting with your custom sends a powerful message, not just to PN but to the industry as a whole.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

What you need to do is contact Plusnet and ask them for a written copy of all the data they hold on you along with any request made for your data or data released to a third party along with the date requested/issued.
Plusnet will either say... no we have not sent on any of your personal details or yes we have, in which case you then contact the firm holding those details to request why such details are being held.
Very few organisation can legally opt out of the data protection act or freedom of information act and have a limited time line to provide you with the data requested and reasons why they hold it.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
foxtrck
Grafter

I don't need to contact PN to release to me the information they have on me, they've already released that into the general public for everyone to see.
What good will it do now to request information? I have asked them directly whether my details were given to anyone else except ACS and was told a resounding "NO".
Do I trust that answer? "NO"
Do I trust this ISP anymore? "NO"
MarquisBarking

Sorry - I've just stumbled on this discussion and as it is over 80 pages long I don't have the time to take it all in.  I'm no downloader but I'm horrified by this - absolutely horrified.  Am I right in my understanding:
1.  PlusNet's standard response to an NPO order is to concede before the hearing and not even send a legal representative, although other ISPs both contest and attend?
2.  PlusNet do not ask for notifications of prosecutions and actions which result, even those these might form a defence against providing data in the future and are routinely required by other ISPs forced to comply with orders?
3.  PlusNet have been sending this data in unecrypted form even though the terms of the order requires/advises encryption?
4.  PlusNet have not said sorry?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: foxtrck
Yes well I would but im either faced with a huge disconnection charge

Unless you are on a business account you are 10 days notice.
If you transfer out using a MAC there is no disconnection charge.
The only possible charges are if you took up one of the "stay 12 months and we'll wipe the charge" offers (e.g. 'free' router - but you probably be able to use that with your new ISP anyway)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Foxtrck,
Get it in writing !
Then if you get any letters threatening you with court action you can say it's harrassment and use the letter from Plusnet in court to prove the point !!
We are born into history and history is born into us.
Toolbox
Grafter

Quote from: MarquisBarking
Sorry - I've just stumbled on this discussion and as it is over 80 pages long I don't have the time to take it all in.  I'm no downloader but I'm horrified by this - absolutely horrified.  Am I right in my understanding:
1.  PlusNet's standard response to an NPO order is to concede before the hearing and not even send a legal representative, although other ISPs do both?
2.  PlusNet do not ask for notifications of prosecutions and actions which result, even those these might form a defence against providing data in the future and are routinely required by other ISPs forced to comply with orders?
3.  PlusNet have been sending this data in unecrypted form even though the terms of the order requires/advises encryption?

1. No they don't contest it and agree with it before court action. No other ISP turns up at court.
2. Never asked untill we asked them to, but it took a lot of asking before they would do anything. But they have never got the information.
3 Yes they sent it in an unsercure way and against a high court order requiring them to secure it.
4. Plusnet don't know what sorry is or customer security.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: MarquisBarking
1.  PlusNet's standard response to an NPO order is to concede before the hearing and not even send a legal representative, although other ISPs both contest and attend?

1. Correct
2. Correct
3. Correct
4. Jury is out on that one. They have grudgingly admitted they did it, but I wouldn't call it a fullsome apology!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Fletch
Grafter

All;
Firstly, we would like to apologise again to customers affected by the leak of data from ACS Law.  We can confirm that we did send unencrypted data to ACS Law. However, this was not the cause of the leak. At a later date, due to a cyber-attack on the systems of the law firm, data that it held was leaked. We are extremely angry with ACS Law for allowing this to happen.

We would like to re-iterate that we have contacted all the affected customers via email.  However, if you haven’t received an email from us and you have previously received a letter from ACS Law in relation to Plusnet, then please raise a ticket via our Help Assistant .

As a result of the incident at ACS Law, Plusnet will be providing all affected customers with an Identity Protection Service, including internet security software, free of charge for the next 12 months.  We will contact customers directly regarding this over the coming days.
We are investigating how we came to be sending unencrypted data as we have robust systems for managing data. We have already ensured that this type of incident will not happen again, launched an internal enquiry and we have alerted the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). We will work with the ICO to clarify our position.
As we stated yesterday we are no longer co-operating with ACS Law over the provision of information and can confirm that we are reviewing our position in relation to these requests in general. Due to serious concerns about the integrity of the process that is being used by rights holders, we will resist efforts to share more customer details with them and those acting on their behalf until we can be sure that alleged copyright infringements have some basis and customers are treated fairly.
Thanks,
Fletch