cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet no longer 'Totally Unlimited'

deathtrap
Grafter

Re: Plusnet no longer 'Totally Unlimited'

It is and has been fact for many customers over the past 8 months peak time slow downs 2 big threads about capacity on this forum, and it's still ongoing ,
It's like the advertising of  this  upto76mbps were at least 10% of an isp's customers were able to achieve that speed, when in reality Both BT and Plusnet failed  both only had 1% of their customer base able to get 76mbps
Could the reason be Traffic management and use of IP profiles  All BTW based customers have one the BTW IP Profile, but plusnet customers have 2 of them
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/06/which-report-slams-big-uk-broadband-isps-for-misleading...
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Given this
Quote from: http
Rate limits
We do not apply rate limits to any of our current residential or business products. Find out more about this in our Broadband speeds guide. We used rate limits with some of our older broadband products to make sure everyone gets a good online experience.

I would assume it's  'Totally Unlimited' still
PN are you going to respond ?
Kind Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I don't think Plusnet have ever really offered any guarantees that you'll get your full line speed 24/7, just their aims or hopes or expectations. I don't see how Plusnet could make those kinds of promises when BTWholesale doesn't. The WBC FTTC handbook contains those "minimum planned" downstream throughput speeds (e.g. 40Mb for someone getting the full 80Mb), and for 10% of the busiest 3 hours it could even be below those.
@deathtrap
That Which report just did different statistical calculations on the latest Ofcom speed data. All the individual data is available. The highest FTTC speed in the data is 75.6696 Mbit/s (TalkTalk), 2nd is 75.3622 (BT), 3rd 75.3473 (Plusnet). They are only commenting on BT's and Plusnet's 76 Mb packages because those were the only providers' 76 Mb packages that they analysed. There was not enough data to do the calculations on the 76 Mb product from any other ISP.
There is also
Quote from: http
These speeds are not guaranteed, and you may see lower if the network is busy.

People seem to have the expectation that the network should never be "busy" under normal circumstances.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Doesn't "Unlimited" mean without any limit?
Its a meaningless phrase in the context of any physical system.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: spoon
The first is 100% definite what they were saying about "Totally Unlimited" (with the proviso of some occasional internet events as I posted in reply #4).
Quite what they are saying now is unclear, but changing it to Unlimited Usage and dropping the difference from other ISPs they were using in their marketing is very significant.
I suppose that one possibility is that they have been forced to drop the "Totally" due to complaints to the ASA because of their inability to get to the bottom http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140851.0.html which has been going on since the back end of last year.

possibly but usually if the ASA intervene following a complaint they announce it on their news page.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

FTTC is up to 76Mbps (80/20)
FTTC is up to 38Mbps (40/2)
On real speed throughput for PN are as following:
FTTC 80/20 is 74Mbps from BT IP and PN IP @ 77.3Mb
FTTC 40/2 is 38Mbps from BT IP and PN IP @ 40Mb
Both are Unlimited Usage with line rate at all day plus PN traffic management
richij
Grafter

The quasi-contractual terms when I signed up for Unlimited in 2013 amounted to a "reasonable efforts" promise that there'd be enough bandwidth to cope with peak usage everywhere in the network. Plusnet went out of its way to describe possible exceptions to this rule.
I feel Plusnet fulfilled that promise in my case, once I got my 20CN exchange capacity issues sorted (thanks, ChrisP). Gateway-hopping issues notwithstanding.
In 2013, Plusnet was also at pains to clarify that the network management amounted to prioritization, not throttling.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I think Plusnet Traffic Management including network management amounted to prioritization still there. Nothing is changing since. All line speed is maximum all day as there is no speed throttling because I can see prove of download transfer rate of 8.7Mb/s on my maximum 80/20 FTTC all day all evebing and weekend.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: goldenfibre
... All line speed is maximum all day as there is no speed throttling because I can see prove of download transfer rate of 8.7Mb/s on my maximum 80/20 FTTC all day all evebing and weekend.

Well I wouldn't be impressed with that download speed!
Or do you mean 8.7MB/s ?
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I mean 8.7MB/s sorry
deathtrap
Grafter

I mean 8.7MB/s
Which according to goggle when converted into mbps is 69.6 Mbps If i go to speedtest.net and change the settings from Megabits to Megabytes is i see that most of my previous results with my current isp  are all 9.3-9.4MB/s and historic  results (Plusnet) range from 9.0-9.2MB/s
http://www.speedguide.net/conversion.php
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

U won't get 9.3 MB/s because 80Mbps is reduced to 77.3Mbps after BT IP Profile and the real throughput are 74Mbps, so around 8.7MB/s are about right.
deathtrap
Grafter

U won't get 9.3 MB/s because 80Mbps is reduced to 77.3Mbps after BT IP Profile
Max I get what i say, and have used different methods to measure it. on plusnet i typically would get around 72-74mbps max ( 9 - 9.25 MB/sec) with my current isp  i get slightly more 74.75- 75.2 Mbps (  9.34-9.4 MB/sec) peaking to 9.5MB/s= 76 Mbps,the advertised headline throughput speed , whilst downloading files with a BT IP profile of 77.351
I don't make this up , as said if you are saying that your max throughput transfer speed is only.8.7MB/s as that equates to only  69.6 Mbps which is on the low side
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Can we have a more precise definition of your download measurements? Are we talking data throughput or raw traffic? Your figures imply raw values as the Mb:MB ratio is 8:1, which if true for data throughput means that there are no overheads (including no routing information).
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
deathtrap
Grafter

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4225445137  http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4510412352 In megabits  are the speeds that  i get, these results closely reflect actual throughput rates when downloading/uploading files  the same speed-test results in megabytes are attached