cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outcome of moving to SoGEA broadband and porting my landline to a VoIP provider

rmappleby
Grafter

Outcome of moving to SoGEA broadband and porting my landline to a VoIP provider

Like many people, I'm aware that the shutdown of the PSTN is approaching, and I wanted to get ahead of the process by moving to FTTP and taking advantage of phone number portability to move my current landline number to a VoIP provider. Unfortunately where I live there is no true FTTP available (OpenReach hasn't run the fibre into houses yet), but it is possible to move to a SoGEA broadband offering. In fact, its now the only new broadband offering available in my area.

The issue is that coordinating the upgrade of the broadband package with the porting out of the landline number, while you are still in-contract with Plusnet, is non-trivial.

@Justin3 documented the problem, and how he understood the process was supposed to work over here. My research led me to exactly the same understanding and conclusions, though there have since been some hints that it may have got even more complex since the 5 Sept 2023, as there is now a nationwide stop-sell on *any* PSTN related service.

In summary:

• Trying to port a landline number to a new provider will terminate any broadband package running on it.
  • Upgrading to FTTP or SoGEA will terminate ("cease") the phone number, and hand it back to the owning ISP (the "Range Holder", usually BT, never Plusnet)
  • When the number reaches the Range Holder it goes to the back of the queue for reuse/reallocation by a new subscriber
  • Plusnet tell me that when they cease a phone number, it goes into quarantine for 14 days (and can be ported out) before being returned to the Range Holder

So the way forward is (apparently) to process the SoGEA order, and then port-in the quarantined landline number to your VoIP provider. This is what Plusnet will recommend.

Except it doesn't work. Or at least, it certainly didn't in my case. Once the SoGEA order was processed, my chosen VoIP provider (A&A) were unable to port-in the landline number. OpenReach (Plusnets telecoms provider) rejected the request, repeatedly.

Plusnet now have you on a new SoGEA contract, and frankly don't much care about your lost phone number. Their agents also have absolutely no visibility of the status of the phone number, and very little knowledge of the number porting process (which is horribly complex) so fundamentally can't help you. You will be told to take it up with your gaining CP (the VoIP provider). Meanwhile your VoIP provider are being told the number cannot be ported.

At this point you are entirely at the mercy of your VoIP provider, because Plusnets only suggestion will be for the VoIP provider to approach the OpenReach porting helpdesk to negotiate a resolution to the failure to port-in the number. So rather than using an automated ordering system to port-in the number, your VoIP provider will have to manually find and resolve whatever the problem is. This is slower, less scalable, and therefore more expensive. They CANNOT do this for every port-in request, because it will break their business model.

In my case, A&A tell me that the problem was that when Plusnet had ordered the SoGEA upgrade they had NOT put my landline number into quarantine, which is a state designed to prevent a number from being "ceased". Apparently the number had been simply ceased. Plusnet on the other hand told me that ceasing the number automatically puts it into quarantine. But A&A tried port-ins twice, and both attempts failed. In the end I was lucky that A&A were prepared to resolve the situation manually with OpenReach, but as above, I imagine that if this happens too frequently they will not be able to do that.

So, how to guarantee porting out your landline number with a switch to an FTTP/SoGEA offering? After my experiences I'd be wary of guaranteeing anything, but these are what I suspect are the safest options that don't involve ordering additional connections:

• When you reach the end of contract, port your landline number into your VoIP provider, ceasing your broadband, and then order a new broadband package. But, if you are on FTTC, looking to move to SoGEA, be aware that if your cabinet is full, you might be creating a window when someone else could take your slot in the cabinet. Or,
  • Migrate your landline and broadband service to someone like A&A who are prepared to separate the landline number from the broadband manually and then run both for you. Except I believe that this may not be possible now that there is a stop-sell on PSTN based offerings, as I believe it prevents another provider from taking over your current PSTN-based broadband/phone line bundle. Or,
  • Hope that Plusnet can seamlessly migrate you to BT Digital Voice and an FTTP/SoGEA offering.

In the meantime I strongly urge Plusnet to publish some properly tested documentation on the process that has to be followed to result in a seamless (no exception processes between porting help desks) migration to FTTP/SoGEA with a successful port-out of the existing landline number. Or, if that's not possible, state that it isn't, along with what are the alternatives, and what are the risks of following those alternatives. Because currently, as a customer, I get a different version of the truth each time I interact with Plusnet, and (perhaps as a result) there seems to be no consistency of outcome being reported in the forums.

8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Outcome of moving to SoGEA broadband and porting my landline to a VoIP provider

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Home Phone to Plusnet Feedback

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: Outcome of moving to SoGEA broadband and porting my landline to a VoIP provider

@rmappleby 

Glad it workied out in the end. Couple of things to add.

Research VOIP in advance so your know what to expect and who you want to use. You may need to but an ATA for your current phone. Your chosen VOIP provider may allow you to set your account up in advance so you're in a position to port immediately you go to FTTP / SOGEA. A&A apparently are happ to do this.

If you were to go down the route of a new account with PlusNet you lose e-mail and any referrels you have.

Brian

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

As I see it, there is another option for those of us lucky enough to reside in a street served by more that one network provider. Plusnet use Openreach but we are fortunate to have both CityFibre (various retail providers) and Netomia ( retailed by YouFibre) either up and running or imminent. Openreach are still installing their fire network and are some months behind the other two.

If you are in such a position, get a fibre broadband installation from someone other than Plusnet or an Openreach reseller (or from either of those if you can guarantee that it is an additional service and will not impact your existing services), and once that is up and running get a VOIP provider to take over your existing landline. That will then cease your Plusnet contract. Clearly there will be additional costs doing this (especially if you have an extended time left on your Plusnet contract ) but it is, at the moment, possibly the safest way to avoid your landline number disappearing into the void. Plusnet do need to get their house in order re landline number porting which is, after all, an Ofcom requirement.

rmappleby
Grafter

@bmc wrote:

Research VOIP in advance so your know what to expect and who you want to use. You may need to but an ATA for your current phone. Your chosen VOIP provider may allow you to set your account up in advance so you're in a position to port immediately you go to FTTP / SOGEA. A&A apparently are happ to do this.

Yes, it will all make a lot more sense, and be a lot smoother if you're familiar with VoIP and the technology that supports it. I've run VoIP equipment at home for many years now, and played with things like Asterisk in the past, so I knew my setup would work.

A&A are excellent for VoIP. They let you pre-configure everything, so your phones are connected to their infrastructure in advance of the line, and then when they run the port-in, it all just comes alive and works. Their online help is also excellent. Strongly recommended.

rmappleby
Grafter

@jgb wrote:

If you are in such a position, get a fibre broadband installation from someone other than Plusnet or an Openreach reseller (or from either of those if you can guarantee that it is an additional service and will not impact your existing services), and once that is up and running get a VOIP provider to take over your existing landline. That will then cease your Plusnet contract. 

Agreed. If anyone had put fibre in the ground around here then this is exactly how I would have gone about it. But sadly we have no ETA for real fibre from any provider. It will obviously be a little more expensive as you overlap services, but well worth it to avoid the pain I've just been through.

I'm amazed at the lack of readiness of Plusnet to deal with this - they have known about this coming down the line for a long time. And even if not in a good technical position to deal with it, there is no excuse not to have prepared the agents, who are left trying to cope. It just needs a bit of organisation, and some FAQ's writing to make this much more customer-friendly.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

@jgb wrote:

...If you are in such a position, get a fibre broadband installation from someone other than Plusnet or an Openreach reseller (or from either of those if you can guarantee that it is an additional service and will not impact your existing services), and once that is up and running get a VOIP provider to take over your existing landline. 

If it's for you moving to fibre, you could still use an Openreach based service, including with Plusnet.  It would just mean ordering a new service rather than upgrading your existing one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

In my case, A&A tell me that the problem was that when Plusnet had ordered the SoGEA upgrade they had NOT put my landline number into quarantine, which is a state designed to prevent a number from being "ceased". Apparently the number had been simply ceased. Plusnet on the other hand told me that ceasing the number automatically puts it into quarantine. But A&A tried port-ins twice, and both attempts failed. In the end I was lucky that A&A were prepared to resolve the situation manually with OpenReach, but as above, I imagine that if this happens too frequently they will not be able to do that.

@rmappleby As I understand it , there is only one type of cease and it does put the number into quarantine. I believe the problem is simpler than that, in that the Openreach automated port system is rejecting the port with Code 31 'number not in service', which is correct , it isnt!

AFAICS the defined port process hasn't been updated by OFFTA since 2018 ( http://www.offta.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/145730/GNPE2E-Ops-process.pdf ) to cover 'right to port' and porting a number not in service. OFCOM have introduced the 'right to port' in advance of the 'one touch switch' process and I suspect Openreach are busy working towards that with their automated systems, hence the existing system rejects the port. As you've discovered once the port is requested manually by contact to the Helpdesk then its sucessfull. TBH its unlikely that Openreach are going to want to change their current automated system when its going to be replaced by 'one touch switch' in the (near?) future.

TBH I hadn't appreciated how automated the A & A porting system was until I went through it earlier today with a family member, its a few years since I ported numbers to them and then it was a business multiple line port so may well have been different. I can understand why A & A don't want to be messing about with contacting porting helpdesks, its just not cost effective for them.

As to why some ports appear to have been successfull and others not, I have a guess as to what MAY be happening...

With an upgrade to FTTP, the PN system places an FTTP provision order on Openreach and at the same time queues (but does not issue to Openreach) a landline cease order. Not until the FTTP install is confirmed complete (which may be some time!) , is the cease order 'released' and sent to Openreach. There is therefore a 'window' where the landline service is still active and any port request submitted shortly after FTTP install, will likely complete sucessfully using the automated systems.

With a change to SoGEA, there is no time delay for the order to be completed, no install is required. So I suspect the order for SoGEA and the cease are placed on Openreach simultaneously ( or maybe there's just one order, I don't know! ) and so there is no 'window' where the line is still in service, hence any automated port request fails and manual port via the Helpdesk is required.

Note that the above is my best guess as to what's happening, I have no direct access to the various systems to confirm or deny...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rmappleby
Grafter

@rmappleby As I understand it , there is only one type of cease and it does put the number into quarantine. I believe the problem is simpler than that, in that the Openreach automated port system is rejecting the port with Code 31 'number not in service', which is correct , it isnt!

AFAICS the defined port process hasn't been updated by OFFTA since 2018 ( http://www.offta.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/145730/GNPE2E-Ops-process.pdf ) to cover 'right to port' and porting a number not in service. OFCOM have introduced the 'right to port' in advance of the 'one touch switch' process and I suspect Openreach are busy working towards that with their automated systems, hence the existing system rejects the port.

That sounds like a good explanation. My understanding is that the "one touch switch" was supposed to be live already (in readiness for the PSTN switch off?) but apparently the entire industry has failed to meet the deadline. 

TBH I hadn't appreciated how automated the A & A porting system was until I went through it earlier today with a family member, its a few years since I ported numbers to them and then it was a business multiple line port so may well have been different. I can understand why A & A don't want to be messing about with contacting porting helpdesks, its just not cost effective for them.

It's an impressive solution. I suspect its as near frictionless as its possible to get. I only had to talk to someone because the port-in failed, otherwise it would have been completely self-service.

As to why some ports appear to have been successfull and others not, I have a guess as to what MAY be happening...

With an upgrade to FTTP, the PN system places an FTTP provision order on Openreach and at the same time queues (but does not issue to Openreach) a landline cease order. Not until the FTTP install is confirmed complete (which may be some time!) , is the cease order 'released' and sent to Openreach. There is therefore a 'window' where the landline service is still active and any port request submitted shortly after FTTP install, will likely complete sucessfully using the automated systems.

With a change to SoGEA, there is no time delay for the order to be completed, no install is required. So I suspect the order for SoGEA and the cease are placed on Openreach simultaneously ( or maybe there's just one order, I don't know! ) and so there is no 'window' where the line is still in service, hence any automated port request fails and manual port via the Helpdesk is required.

Note that the above is my best guess as to what's happening, I have no direct access to the various systems to confirm or deny...

That would certainly explain the confusion with some people successfully reporting to have ported out numbers as part of a conversion, while others are failing. And its a short step to apply the FTTP results to the SoGEA ports, because simplistically, they're both just getting rid of the phone number. But of course under the covers they are very different beasts with different processes that have to be followed.