cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major phone line outage in Barnton (01606)?

paulrhoward0903
Hooked

Re: Major phone line outage in Barnton (01606)?

I have the same issue, I know what the issue is but I've had to contact PN for an update.  Surely for an entire geographical location that is effected by a major outage they should contact all users in bulk with a notification and then updates rather than a reliance on the need for a customer to all them?? 

When I spoke to someone before they advised that the fix should be complete by 6pm, Vodafone are reporting 5th May for a fix.  

Are we automatically compensated for the issue?  I'm having to now travel for work as I normally work from home, am I compensated for the additional costs that I have to incur due to the travel I now need to do just to access the internet?

I get that there is a major issue that is out of PNs hands but the customer communications have been non existent and I'm really disappointed in a company that was once number one for customer care 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

@paulrhoward0903 This topic is from 2014. It would be a hood idea to start your own topic with more information if you want help.

John
paulrhoward0903
Hooked

lol, whoops, exactly the same situation is ongoing now 

jab1
Legend

Same area?

John
paulrhoward0903
Hooked

Same area, same problem, Dredging the river and they've gone through a cable supplying two entire villages.  

jab1
Legend

OK - no doubt @Townman will pop up at some point.

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Unless he's moved house @jab1 !  Wink

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

John,

This is indeed my topic from 2014 when exactly the same thing happened.

Well the symptoms are identical. The villages of Barnton and Anderton have limited services. I have voice service but no Internet, other users have neither.

I saw a river dredger on Sunday and thought “That’s rather close to the under water cables, I hope they do not foul things up like they did way back when…”. Must have jinxed things - 12:55 yesterday the internet went down, but not voice services. Still have xDSL so that infers a fibre back haul issue as the copper circuit is OK and VDSL to the cabinet is fine.

Business service in next village (the pub) also lost FTTC.  Later discovered that their phone line is down.  There is also a local rumour that road works on a nearby landslip cut a BT cable.  That might explain the separate loss of voice.

As for restoration information, well that is all down to what information BT Openreach does / does not give out to ISPs/CPs.  In respect of the 2014 incident (as detailed above) it was totally inconsistent and did not correlate with reality.  Sor for the current incident, I'd not expect the information to be any more consistent and in the circumstances 5th of May might not be unrealistic.

More local intel suggests that the "Whole of Openreach North West" is in the area / on the case.  That might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I did reconnect 20 minutes ago.  The next village (the other side of the road works) is still down.

If this were indeed damage to the under water cable, then the repair is somewhat impressive!  Just need to await repairs on Soot Hill.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@paulrhoward0903 

The status of your service might depend on which side of the Soot Hill landslip you are.

I suspect that there are two incidents here: local Facebook groups report issues in both locations.  I do not see how something on Soot Hill could impact such a wide area.  The breadth of the FTTC outage fits with a river incident, whilst the limited loss of voice services fits with an incident on Soot Hill.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BarntonAndWinningtonLife/permalink/1244811939758609/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

paulrhoward0903
Hooked

Soothill is a whole different story, that requires an upgrade to the tea making facilities to increase the volume of brews for the workers to then further enable them to stand around, tut at the problem, nod knowingly at each other and then ask where is their next brew!  

paulrhoward0903
Hooked

I'm on Manor Drive and I don't think our internet is back up yet. I'm in the office today, due to the lack of home internet but can see that our Ring Doorbell is still not connected.  My wife works at the school and they're also not back on yet either

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Patchy - I am near the library!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@paulrhoward0903 

Hi Paul,

Are you sorted now?

You might want to check your phone line's number - dial 17070.

Home internet is fine, phone was never broken.

Pub (up the road) internet restored but voice line is connected to the wrong circuit.  Looks as though there are some cross connected circuits in the area.

This happened in the early 2000's major incident in the area (theft of copper in Winnington) ... ironically I got the pub's line and they had mine.