cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation woes

keithwalton

Installation woes

I have had quite an eventful time trying to get my phone line and fttc installed, I have kept it to myself so far but I just can't keep quiet any longer.
To make it easier to follow I shall list everything in chronological order.
30/1/13 - I place my order for phone and fibre broadband noting that I do not presently have a phone number or dial tone.
I request fibre install dates for 11/2 PM, 12/2 PM and 13/2PM
6/2/13 - I get a conformation that my install date is 13/2 AM, I raise a support question stating that I wanted a PM appointment due to the fact I work during the day.
6/2/13 - I get an automated message saying my phoneline is active, I do not have a handset to test it at this time
8/2/13 - I get a notification that my appointment is going to be rescheduled and that i'll find out when it is soon.
11/2/13 - I get a notification that my appointment has been scheduled for 18/2 PM
13/2/13 - I get an automated message to say my broadband is now active
18/2/13 - Fibre engineer turns up but is unable to get a dial tone inside the property but states that he can get one outside the property (see below how this is not the case). He finds the master socket isn't wired up but leaves it in this state. He says someone will be in that week to sort out the problem between inside and out and that they will contact me to arrange a convenient time first.
I add a note to my current support thread stating the problems with the install with all the comments from the 'engineer'
19/2/13 - I get home from work to find a note from openreach saying that they had tried to fix my fault but couldn't do so as I wasn't in and that the job had been returned to my supplier.
I add a note to the same thread as before stating what has happened and requesting that they make an appointment for the work attempted by engineer #2 to be completed.
22/2/13 - I get a notification to say that my home phone line should now be working, I create a new support request stating that it cannot be working as the internal socket has not yet been wired up. I get a reply to say that there is an error in the system and that the line is actually not yet active and they cant fix it but that someone will look into it on monday.
22/2/13 - Fibre team say they have put in a request for an engineer on 23/2 PM, 25/2PM 26/2PM and that i'll be notified by the end of the day which installation slot will go ahead.
25/2/13 - I reply to fibre support ticket asking when is my appointment considering I was already into the 2nd slot.
25/2/13 - Phone team says that they have fixed the problem line should now be working, I reply to them stating still no wiring on master socket.
25/2/13 - Fibre engineer turns up without prior warning (engineer #3) he wires up the internal socket but fails to find a dial tone, he checks outside the property and fails to find a dial tone (contrary to the first engineers findings), he goes to the cabinet and is able to find a dial tone there but doesn't have the means to investigate it any further. He leaves suggesting that someone will be come that week to find out where the link is broken and that they will contact me before turning up. After I made the point that I wasn't aware of his appointment and that we'd been lucky that I was in.
26/2/13 - Phone team notify that a fault has been detected external to my property and that the suppliers will fix it soon but due to a high number of faults in the area it may not be fixed until 6/3/13
26/2/13 - I return home to find a note from openreach engineer #4 saying that they had fixed the fault and everything should now be working, if I have any issues to contact my supplier.
I add to the phone faults thread that it's still not working.
27/2/13 - I get an automated e-mail saying that i've had my broadband two weeks now and that they had performed a speed check and that I was receiving 78MBPS
28/2/13 - Phone team replies to say the supplier wishes to send an engineer could I provide them with some appointment slots.
2/3/13 - Phone team confirms an engineer will visit 6/3/13 PM
4/3/13 - Fibre team replies to my install problems and notes that a phone fault visit has been scheduled for the 6/3/13 and I quote "Once the phone fault has been resolved, we will then look into replacing the Fibre order for you so as not to waste anymore of your time."
5/3/13 - Another automated e-mail suggesting I should help plusnet receive an award by running a speed test app. I don't think you really want me to do that because you'd get a speed of 0MBPS from a quoted speed of 78MBPS
6/3/13 - Engineer #5 turns up and finds there is still no dial tone inside the property and none outside either, he decides to methodically check the line back to the cabinet.
He tests my master socket to outside and it works fine (contrary to the first engineer again) he then checks between outside of my property to the street level manhole and finds the line to my property is not connected to anything. He also finds my dial tone at this point on a wire that's not connected to anything and so makes the connection.
He suspects the 4th engineer had wired up my neighbours line and not mine.
Finally I have a working phone line so I close the phone fault thread and put a note on the fibre thread saying that I now have a phone line please book in a fibre installer to the earlier available PM slot.
6/3/13 - Another automated e-mail saying i've had my service nearly a month now, and that if I recommend it to friends and family that I could receive discounts, at this point i'd only recommend it to my worst enemy!
7/3/13 - 30 hours after my last note to the fibre team, I chase them up reminding them that they had previously said they would sort it out automatically.
8/3/13 - Nearly 48 hours after I had added the note that my phone line was still working I still haven't had a reply, So I create a new support thread to chase this up. A couple of hours later I get a reply to say they are going to chase up the fibre team and they'll be back to me shortly.
A few hours pass and I get notification that my fibre appointment has been provisionally booked for 15/3/13 AM, I immediately reply to them that I have requested on numerous occasions PM only appointments as it means taking 3 hours off work instead of 5 for an AM appointment.
and then I write this thread as previously stated i'm getting quite sick of waiting. I was previously on a mobile broadband contract, when I made my order from plusnet I gave this provider 30 days notice as my installation was due to be completed in 14 days ...
This contract ended a week ago now, and paid for payg mobile broadband to cover me until the fibre install but it's 3x the price of the contract!
To get a notification that it's going to be at least another week is a kick in the proverbial's.
So i'm now waiting for engineer #6 to visit when in reality if any of the first #4 had done there job properly the 5th one wouldn't of had to of cleaned up there mess and i'd of been up and running by now!
Edit forgot to mention my fibre support ticket is #65514481
9 REPLIES 9
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Installation woes

I'm really sorry to hear about the issues you've encountered here.
Obviously some feedback I'll need to pass on internally and some feedback for our suppliers too.
I've just checked the order now with a view to changing the appointment to PM, this as it stands would mean changing the appointment to one on or after the 18th. Let me know if that's something we still need to look at doing for you.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
keithwalton

Thanks for the reply, I was begging to wonder if anyone was going to take up this thread.
With regards to the feedback, praise has to goto the 5th engineer as he did the job properly and cleared up the mess that the other 4 had made. Yet he said openreach are forever on his back for doing more jobs per day.
He did spend twice as long on the job as anyone else did but he got it done which is surely a more important metric that # of jobs/day.
If the next PM appointment is next week then I shall just have to bite the bullet and take friday morning off in the hope it's worth it as it's really dragged on far to long now
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No worries, sorry for the delayed reply (FYI these forums aren't generally looked at by staff over the weekend though).
I will certainly pass on the positive feedback as I'm a firm believer in making sure good as well as more negative feedback is passed on.
Sorry if that was an inconvenience re the appointment on Friday, let us know how things go.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
keithwalton

Has the appointment been confirmed for friday morning, I normally get notifications / reminders about it but i've heard nothing from the fibre team.
Also to add insult to the injury
13/3/13 - Recieve notification up coming direct debit payment / invoice which is so far off the mark it's actually quite funny.
- I have been billed for line rental despite paying for a year upfront.
- I have been billed for next months fibre service even though it's not yet active and wont be installed until friday (new billing period starts today)
With the amount of problems i've had so far through no fault of my own and the amount of lost earnings incurred i'd be expecting some free time as compensation and not paying for time that I cant use it for!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there,
I've checked the order and the install is still due for the 15th.
I'm sorry to hear about the billing issues, 
I have been billed for line rental despite paying for a year upfront.

I'm sorry too if this wasn't mentioned but that does happen, we can refund you for the first month or offset when the LRS is due to expire I beleive so let us know which you'd prefer.
I can see you've raised a ticket so we will respond to that ASAP to address the other issues.
With the amount of problems i've had so far through no fault of my own and the amount of lost earnings incurred i'd be expecting some free time as compensation and not paying for time that I cant use it for!

I'll make sure that we give you a gesture of good will to account for these problems.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
keithwalton

15/3/13 - Fibre Engineer #3 and overall engineer #6, fibre install was finally successful line test as expected revealed sync rate to be maximum (80/20).
I did a quick speed test before heading off to work

Not to shabby at all Smiley
Thanks Adam for all your help, replies in hours rather than days is always appreciated. A human acknowledging someone is on the case is always welcome
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Really glad it all got sorted, thanks for letting us know and sorry it was so much trouble.
keithwalton

I'm back again ...
I have once again been billed for line rental (I did receive a refund for last month) and no sign of the bill being adjusted for the fact I was two days into my 2nd billing month before my broadband was activated,
I have replied to my support ticket but have posted on here as well as you guys are so much more helpfull!
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi keithwalton,
Sorry to see you were billed incorrectly, I can see James has rectified this and responded to your ticket.