cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for almost no service

jamesl182d
Dabbler

Charged for almost no service

Plusnet has its finger on the pulse re customer service.
The guys on the end of the phone have been friendly, knowledgeable and polite throughout major problems with our line as new customers. Problems have been identified as a 'battery contact' fault preventing us from getting internet for more than 20 secs at a time, with a tiny max bandwidth.
I was on the cusp of total satisfaction with Plusnet's efforts, escalating repairs and updating when asked... until I asked whether we would be billed for the service which has been almost useless to this point.
They said we have not reported problems with the phone line; that it's the broadband which has caused the problem, and so we're still liable for the whole line rental fee for this period. They won't charge us the 85p's worth of broadband we haven't received. We're still liable for the full £15 monthly line rental. Joke.
The 'good honest broadband' tagline needs to apply beyond nailing people to their contractual obligations. Contractually, I don't have a leg to stand on, but the morality vaccum seems universal for these companies. Not happy.
James
24 REPLIES 24
petecov44
Grafter

Re: Charged for almost no service

Well they are right - why should they not bill for the landline if there's been no problems with it? I think you have to have no landline for 3 days before any compensation can be requested and that's when PN can also claim it from BTO. It used to be 3 days anyway
As they are 2 separate systems then I agree. If your car is sat in the garage for a month you don't ask the petrol station to refund you for the petrol you bought days before based on the fact you've not been able to use it - the phone line has been there and working and PN have been billed for it none the less.
You won't like my reply but you threw it into the public space. Sorry but you thinking you should get a free bit of phone service when it's been something else at fault IS the joke!
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi jamesl182d,
Pete is right in what he's written, however, he has based his response on the fact that you've said that nothing is wrong with the phone line...a battery contact fault is related to the phone line so it is therefore currently noted on your account as a Phone fault, even though it's affecting the broadband with more detriment.
I would therefore say that in this particular circumstance we should be refunding for whichever service is affected, as we have a phone fault open we should be refunding you for the phone service from when the fault was opened until it is deemed resolved. By what you've stated this has been ongoing this entire month, in which case we wouldn't refund since the issue was present if you didn't make us aware of it which I'm sure you will agree is fair.
Keep an eye on Ticket: 93014507 as any further updates will be provided on there.
petecov44
Grafter

I retract my previous post then, If it's a BCF then yes I also agree it should be refunded.
Sorry James, I went only on the facts presented.
jamesl182d
Dabbler

I'm impressed with the speedy response,
But Plusnet's stance is that I must pay, due to the fact that I only reported the service I identified as faulty in the first instance. It turns out I should have reported the mandatory service for which I pay the most money, which is also at fault.
We were informed by Plusnet that our broadband speed would cut off and fluctuate massively upon activation; that we were supposed to leave it and let it do its thing - this is why we didn't get in touch until recently. Must we really diagnose a battery contact fault ourselves, before plusnet alleviates us of a mandatory rental fee amounting to most of the service expense?
Again, I'm not disputing my rights here - I'm sure I have few - I'm simply stating that I purchased a faulty service which is yet to work properly and I don't wish to be charged until I receive a stable connection of something resembling our advertised speed.
Cruise85
Grafter

Hi jamesl182d
I'll certainly pick up the fault for you and once its been resolved will look to arrange a refund which will cover the services that have been affected
Again, I am sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused
Regards
Matt
jamesl182d
Dabbler

Many thanks, Matt.
Greatly appreciated.
James
Cruise85
Grafter

No problem James
I've taken over the Fault ticket on your account, and once the issue is resolved I'll ensure that you are refunded accordingly
Thanks again
Matt
jamesl182d
Dabbler

Hi Matt,
We had an impromptu visit from a guy from BT today - he admitted it wasn’t booked and by chance, we were at home.
He speculated that we have similar problems to other people he’s dealt with in this building and his tests showed that he’s not receiving signals very far down the line. The problem on this occasion was access; we need to get down to the basement underneath the restaurant below (if he has correctly diagnosed the problem).
Given that this was impromptu in the morning, we couldn’t get in touch with the restaurant.
I chatted with them this eve and they said someone is usually around from 2pm. Can we please arrange for someone to come round and try to resolve this, specifying that it needs to be 2pm at the latest?
Can you also confirm that you have a record of this? It caught us off-guard and I want to make sure everyone's on the same page.
James
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

James,
Did you mean 2pm at the earliest - that is not before 2pm?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jamesl182d
Dabbler

Hi there,
Apologies - contradicting typo. Someone is usually at the restaurant by 2pm, so anytime after 2pm during the week should be ok (they're an evening curry restaurant). If you confirm the date, I'll give the guy a call just to make sure it's ok and let you know any problems. I'll also make sure I'm there in person (best to say around 3pm to be safe).
Do let me know,
James
Cruise85
Grafter

Hi James
I have provisionally booked in an appointment for wednesday afternoon, and requested that the engineer attends after 2pm, however I cannot guarantee this, as the appointment slot is between 1pm and 6pm
Please let me know if wednesday is ok, or if an alternative date would be preferable.
Regards
Matt
jamesl182d
Dabbler

Hi,
Yes, I'll make sure I'm there Wednesday afternoon. Just called the restaurant and the guys there are happy to help.
I know you have limited control and that they cannot guarantee tinmings, but please leave explicit instructions that if they arrive before 2:30pm and are unable to wait, it may all be a total waste of everyone's time. The restaurant is not staffed before 2:30 and we will not have access to the basement if it is needed. I hope common sense will prevail over protocol, as this is the best I can do.
I'll be really upset if it's delayed for another few days/weeks because they arrive 1.5 hrs too early. Any time after that is fine - even the evening if need be.
Thank you for your efforts so far,
James
SharonBrown
Grafter

Smiley Good morning!
Matt isn't in yet but I've contacted our suppliers and asked them to put the note on for the engineers confirming that there won't be anyone there until 2.30pm onwards and to ask them to visit after that.  We can't guarantee that they will come when we ask, but I have had the notes added.  I will let Matt know that I've done that for you and he'll continue to keep an eye on it as promised.  I hope it all goes well for you.
Best wishes
Sharon
jamesl182d
Dabbler

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for responding - hopefully they'll pay attention to the notes (if it's a request this small & important it'd be crazy for them to come at the wrong time).
Best,
James