Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Plusnet abandoning ADSL customers?

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Are Plusnet abandoning ADSL customers?

It appears that addresses with only ADSL2+ available cannot order any product from Plusnet now - there is of course no land-line option presented now, but also there are no broadband options - just an error message. With mobile also withdrawn, that leaves - er, nothing at all.

Incidentally, EE no longer offer any fixed line broadband at ADSL only addresses either - but at least they do offer mobile broadband plans.

Do Plusnet have any future plan for ADSL customers?

24 REPLIES 24
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Re: Are Plusnet abandoning ADSL customers?

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Plusnet Feedback

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
corringham
Seasoned Champion

OK, so a question about plans for broadband provision isn't appropriate in the Broadband section. 

dvorak

No, because that's about help with your connection - not a generic PN broadband question.
Customer / Moderator
corringham
Seasoned Champion

The description "Get help with your Broadband connection here." doesn't tell me that you have to have a connection, just that you need help with one.

I've been asked by new neighbours about broadband. They had Plusnet suggested to them by another neighnour, but when they checked with Plusnet's website there is just an error message.

I no longer use Plusnet as I have an altnet FTTP connection, but I'm on the main road, and the altnet didn't build down the side road where the only option was ADSL - and now there's nothing available.

So my question is do Plusnet have any plans for ADSL only areas?

dvorak

As it's under the section of 'Help With My Plusnet Services' I'm pretty sure that does tell you.
Customer / Moderator
corringham
Seasoned Champion

I'm pretty certain it doesn't!

What category are you supposed to choose to ask a question about Broadband before you actually have a Plusnet connection?

dvorak

Everything Else, My Order, Tech Help?
Customer / Moderator
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@corringham 

Use the following to see what's available at the address. If you don't know the phone number use the address version.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Post a screen image ot the results hiding any personal details. I'm interested in what it says before I comment further.

Brian

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@bmc, here's the output for the address checker:

ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 8 -- 5.5 to 12.5 Available
WBC ADSL2+ Annex M Up to 8 Up to 1 5.5 to 12.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- 4.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings Availability Date
Exchange Product Restrictions Status
FTTP Priority Exchange N
WLR Withdrawal Y
SOADSL Restriction Y

FTTP is not available.

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

As a WLR withdrawal exchange, product restrictions apply

SOADSL is restricted at the exchange

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

For all SOADSL services,the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL availability: If shown at FTTP or SOGEA premises,ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL are not available to order due to WLR Withdrawal stop sell rules. CPs should order FTTP or SOGEA. Copper products are only available by exception.

Thank you for your interest

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@dvorak wrote:
Everything Else, My Order, Tech Help?

My Order - "Recently joined us or upgraded and have a question?" - not joined yet, so not applicable.

Tech Help - "For all talk about tech matters." - it's not really a tech issue, but a business policy issue so not a good fit.

Everything Else - "Anything else services related you need help with." - I guess that's the one. My bad.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 81

@corringham 

I know they have been recommended plusnet, as it's ADSL perhaps they should look at TalkTalk or Sky as I believe the stop sell is not applicable to them

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/09/openreach-stops-selling-new-uk-analogue-copper-phone-l... 

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@Dan_the_Van , unfortunately neither Sky nor TalkTalk offer any broadband products here. I believe they are only available in LLU enabled exchanges, and ours has no LLU at all.

BT do appear to offer ADSL.

However, I think it is likely that they will go with EE 4G (there is a mast in line-of-sight).

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

My reading (and it might be wrong) of the Openreach stop sell rules https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/products/the-all-ip-programme/stopsell-updates is that there should be an exception where neither FTTP or SoGEA is available, and that ADSL & WLR should still be orderable. I guess PN automated systems MAY not be detecting the execptional circumstances

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@MisterW , I think I've found the answer - the only product that would allow ADSL to be offered by an ISP is SOTAP., and I believe you are correct that the stop sell rules would allow that to be sold in this case.

However, the SOTAP description at https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/products/copper/sotap states

To use SOTAP you’ll need a point of presence in an exchange based on local loop unbundling (LLU) infrastructure. Or you can go through a wholesaler who offers SOTAP in your area.

No ISP has a point of presence in our exchange, and there is no LLU infrastructure. So the only route for Plusnet (or any other ISP) to offer ADSL now is to go via BT Wholesale. EE are not doing that, so I expect Plusnet won't either. (it could be that BT Wholesale don't offer SOTAP as a wholesale product at all).

At the end of 2025 even SOTAP will become unavailable, so I expect it is best for locals to find an alternative now anyway as Opernreach have no plans for our exchange (at least up to 2030).