Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using Eero pro 6E and hub2

FIXED
theocupier

using Eero pro 6E and hub2

Hello, new to plusnet and to Eero.

I know I can replace my Hub 2 with Eero, set to PPPoE but please can someone advise if it's possible to combine them?

If I connect my Hub 2 to the ONT via ethernet, is it possible to connect an Eero router to the Hub 2 via ethernet and use this for WiFi? I would then put another Eero router elsewhere in the house to provide greater coverage for WiFi.

Would I need to change any settings in the Hub 2 to achieve this?

Would it be possible to keep using the Hub 2 WiFi active for static devices near to it which need internet (eg a TV & PS5) and use the Eero WiFi network for other internet devices?

Or would I need to turn the Hub 2 WiFi off in this situation?
Tags (4)
10 REPLIES 10
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: using Eero pro 6E and hub2

Not entirely clear what problem you're trying to resolve?

If you have an Eero mesh system then I would recommend you use that and don't incorporate the Hub Two.There are probably ways to have the Hub Two connected to the ONT and use the Eero's in access point mode, but I reckon you're going to introduce headaches in doing so.

Surely the whole purpose of buying an aftermarket mesh system is that you have enough access points to serve your property? I don't think you should be trying to retrofit an ISP router into the eqaution.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

theocupier

Thanks . I'm trying to solve two problems: cost and ethernet.

It's a relatively small, old house with very solid internal walls.

The ONT is in the living room where I'm going to have several devices that will connect via ethernet and WiFi. The Hub 2 would give me the ethernet ports I need and a WiFi signal sufficient for that room (for the devices that stay in there). But it can't really penetrate beyond there. Replacing it with an Eero router would leave me without enough Ethernet ports in the room.

There is an ethernet cable into the hallway already and if I locate one Eero router there it should have reasonable penetration to the whole house meaning I might only need one additional Eero router to fill the dead spots, whereas if I replace the Hub 2, I'm likely to need three Eero routers in total, an extra cost.

So, if I can use the Hub 2 in the living room it gives me an ethernet solution and WiFi solution for that room and I cover the rest of the house with only 2 Eero routers.

I get your point that some WiFi devices might be fussy about switching networks as they move from living room to the rest of the house. Hopefully the Eero WiFi is strong enough in there that they can stay on this network.

I figure my worst case is adding a 3rd Eero router and ethernet switch in the living room later if it becomes annoying.

Hope that clarifies the use case. Is it technically doable and how would I set up the hub and routers?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to Hardware

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

You should plug your Eero directly into the ONT and then get additional Eero units as needed.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

Fix

@theocupier In general I do tend to agree with Bob that's its better to use a mesh system by itself. However in your case the need for multiple ethernet ports it MAY be useful to retain the Hub 2.

What you are asking is technically feasible, you need to switch the Eero to 'bridge mode' see here https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/207621056-How-do-I-set-up-my-eero-if-I-want-to-keep-my-ex... for explanation, and then connect the primary Eero to a LAN port on the Hub 2.

If you wish to keep the Wifi active on the Hub 2 then you will need to experiment with network names & wifi channels to reduce interference between the Eero & Hub2. AFAIK you cannot manually change channels on the Eero so all changes will need to be on the Hub 2.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

If it's extra ethernet ports you need, then a switch connected to your Eero would be the best bet and pretty inexpensive.  Something like this 5 port switch is currently £12.94, which would give you 4 extra ethernet ports (with one connected back to your Eero.  

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

theocupier

Quick follow up on this.

Tried several times to set up a mesh network by plugging the Eero straight into the ONT as recommended, but it never worked - I could never pair with the Eero via the app. Apparently this is because there's no internet connection to the Eero, despite the ONT lights saying all is well.

I was able to set up Eero in double NAT mode connecting to the Hub 2 - and only this way.

Even once it was set up and I was able to change settings to PPPoE and enter my Plusnet account details it still didn't work connected directly to the ONT.

Much as I'd love to know why this is, it does seem to be working ok, so I'll leave it alone for now!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@theocupier bluetooth is used to perform the initial setup of the Eero , so it shouldnt need an internet connection.

However , this https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/11854452605979-Why-am-I-getting-stuck-on-looking-for-devi... may be your problem

theocupier

That's very useful, thanks.

I wonder why the Eero support person didn't reference that? Just my luck both the Android devices I tried must have had the same issue!

Though when I entered the serial number of the Eero gateway manually it reported a problem which was, apparently, due to internet connectivity - even though this was working fine.

And again, it doesn't explain why the Eero still can't function without the Hub 2 acting as router, even though the app is working and I can change settings to PPPoE.

That might be because I've not input any vlan settings, only PPPoE and my login details. Thoughts?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That might be because I've not input any vlan settings, only PPPoE and my login details. Thoughts? 

There's no need for VLAN ID on FTTP in fact it must be disabled. Did you have the login details correct ? its your accountname suffixed with @plusdsl.net and the password is the one you would use to login to the member centre portal.plus.net