cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Deadspots

Blue55

Wifi Deadspots

Good Afternoon,

I appreciate that this topic has appeared before but I have some questions that I can't find on the forum. I would be very grateful for any assistance.

I previously had BT Broadband (FTTP) with the latest Smart Hub 2 and because I have an old cottage with thick walls I also had one black extender/booster disc. This arrangement worked well and I had good coverage over the entire property and part of the garden. I have just switched to Plusnet and unless I am mistaken they do not provide any form of Wifi booster etc?

I therefore need a device to boost/extend my wifi signal that works in a similar way to the black BT disc. I've read other forum posts and looked online but I'm finding it a bit confusing to identify a device that does exactly the same job. For clarity I need a device that I put in another location, that takes the signal from the router and provides coverage in deadspot areas of the cottage. I also want this device to provide this additional coverage using the same log in details so that I don't have two separate networks in the property (Is it this feature that makes a Mesh system a Mesh system as opposed to a simple wifi booster or extender?)

Any advice gratefully received.

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Wifi Deadspots

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Baldrick1

@Blue55 Welcome to the Community forums

There are two ways of doing this.

1.Using Mesh repeaters such as https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-whole-home-wi-fi-088269-CDXH.html. You just plug these into a LAN port on the Plusnet Hub then go into the Plusnet Hub WiFi settings and turn off the hub WiFi.

2. Buy a Mesh router and satellites from the likes of TP-Link etc. If you are on FTTC you need to configure the Plusnet Hub 2 in bridge mode. If you are on FTTP you can plug the router in to the FTTP ONT without using the Plusnet Hub. Either way, you just need a Mesh router that is compatible with PPPoE, which is the majority.

If you need more information then please ask.

P.S.

If you still have the BT Hub and satellite then this can be configured to work on your Plusnet account.

Moderator and Customer

Blue55

My issue isn't with where to buy them though?

Blue55

Thanks Baldrick that's very helpful. I have one question off the back of your answer.

1. Can I assume that there isn't a product out there similar to the BT black disc whereby I only need one product which 'talks' to my plusnet router and extends the wifi network using the same log in details, password etc?

BTW I do have FTTP which would allow the connection of a new router to the ONT socket and unfortunately BT insisted upon the return of their equipment after my contract ended!

Baldrick1

@Blue55 

I’m afraid that there is no option to convert a Plusnet hub into a mesh router, so no, there is no way to add a single mesh satellite. You can add a wireless extender or a wireless access point.

Moderator and Customer