cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using two routers at the same time

frenches2
Hooked

Using two routers at the same time

Hi everyone. We have just ordered a new line using FTTP. We are aiming to still use the old copper line as backup, because we have a Careline for emergency use and the supplier is unable to change it to fibre yet. I am very wary about the switch because friends have had lots of trouble locally. I want to keep the old router running - it's a technicolor, which has a useful button to turn off and on the WiFi (we have it turned off as a rule, using Powerline/ethernet instead). Am I correct in thinking that both routers will be set up with the ip address of 1.254? If I change the old one's address to another number, other than 1, will it still work with the copper wire? I think I know how to change the address.
Thanks in advance for your help. Hope the question is clear enough - let me know if it isn't, please.
13 REPLIES 13
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

Re: Using two routers at the same time

Hi,

If you keep the two networks Fibre and ADSL separate then you do not need to do anything, you can connect wired or wireless by either connecting to the appropriate Hub using a cable or attaching to the Hubs unique wireless name.

If you want to join the networks together then some changes will be required to the LAN settings.

Dan

frenches2
Hooked

Could you please tell me what changes?
Thanks very much.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

Im not sure I understand why you would ever want both routers connected at the same time ?

I understand you need the copper phone line to support the Careline, and i sort of understand that you could use the ADSL as a backup if the fibre fails. To have two Internet connections active on one network requires a router with multi-wan support, which you 'dont have

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

frenches2
Hooked

I'm using Powerline - a TP-link set - which runs over the mains electric wiring. So I thought at first that I would need to link the two. I have the printer on the old WiFi, and I tum WiFi on when I need the printer. I suppose I could put the printer on the new router, but it would mean buying an extra powerline I think.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Does the careline service require an internet connection or a landline phone service?
Have you conflated the issue?
frenches2
Hooked

Careline uses the landline (copper). In any case I want to keep both for the time being, as a way of being safer. We rely on zoom a lot too.
Thanks for your advice.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

My original statement still stands, it would be simpler to keep the two networks separate, to join them together will require some probably expensive hardware. Plus some network understanding.

I would wait to see what the options are for your FTTP connection as Openreach may depending on your property be able to position the ONT (fibre modem) in a better location/room in your property. 

Dan.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@frenches2 wrote:
Careline uses the landline (copper).

Are you overthinking this? Why not just use the original copper connection for the careline and phone should you so wish and move everything else over to your new fibre connection.

I think that this should work but I have never tried it:

If you need to temporarily go back to you old ADSL connection for any reason then remove the connection between the ONT and the WAN  on the FTTP hub and use it to connect between a LAN connection on both hubs. If my theory is correct it will result as the FTTP hub acting as an Ethernet switch.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

If my theory is correct it will result as the FTTP hub acting as an Ethernet switch

There are a few things to consider;

IP Addresses of the two hubs

Turning off DHCP on the FTTP Hub

It would be best to reboot all devices on the network to refresh the device default gateways and routing 

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

Following @Dan_the_Van 's comments .

What I would try, wth no guarantees but with no costs :

Make sure all devices are in the same subnet, let the FTTP hub handle DHCP.

Those devices that need to route through the FTTC hub manually change IP address (away from DHCP range), default Route, DNS server etc..

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

@frenches2 if you dont mind me asking, what speed FTTP are you going for ?

If its one of the lower speed options then a used Draytek with dual WAN support may be a cost effective option.

In fact I've got a 2830n that you're welcome to, but its WAN throughput is limited to about 100Mb. Its wifi is only single band, slightly better than the TG582 but it does have a wireless on/off switch!.

NB you'd need to collect from the Nottingham area...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

frenches2
Hooked

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I have enough to go on now...
I'll get in touch with you if I decide to use the router you spoke about, MisterW.
frenches2
Hooked

BTW - we have re-named Openreach "Out of reach", owing to the fact that not even Plusnet can get through to them Wink
Plusnet have had to delay the installation again...