cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using ac1600 tp link router with full fibre on plusnet

tazfan
Dabbler

Using ac1600 tp link router with full fibre on plusnet

Hi I have upgraded to full fibre to my home with plus net the speeds are great everything works great, but I want to use my own router I had fibre to the cabinet before and used my ac1600 tp link router

I have a few network switches and run Unifi for my wireless so I got all the kit I need I just can't work out how to get my ac1600 tp link router to connect to the full fever and the hub 2 is just not for me so I would like to use my third party router

But I can't work out what I need to get it working anyone got any ideas?

Do I need to change the settings in the vdsl as it use the WAN port over an phone line

6 REPLIES 6
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Using ac1600 tp link router with full fibre on plusnet

The TP Link would need configuring to use PPPoE over the EWAN port and an ethernet cable would need running between the WAN port on the TP Link and the LAN port on the Openreach ONT.
If you're using Ubiquiti access points, then I assume they are wired to the LAN ports of your router, and you're not actually using the Wi-Fi on the TP Link? It would help to understand a little more about your setup/how things are cabled/configured.
If you are using the Ubiquiti for Wi-Fi then I don't understand your adversity to using the Hub One for the Internet connection to the ONT. It will be no better or worse than the TP Link.
Even if you are using the Wi-Fi on the TP Link, the Wi-Fi specs are comparable to the Hub Two.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@tazfan 

But I can't work out what I need to get it working anyone got any ideas?

Is the TP-Link AC1600 a VR600?

You need to go into advanced setting and change the mode to Wireless Router Mode.

Then select Network >Internet >then select modify, hopefully you'll get a screen something like

Screenshot 2023-03-19 111907.png

Username will be <yourusername>@plusdsl.net and password used for the members centre, do not select VLAN as the ONT looks after that

LAN4 port becomes the WAN port, connect the WAN port to the ONT.

HTH

tazfan
Dabbler

@bobpullen. Thank you for your quick reply yes I had a lan going into the router then that going into my network switch that powers the unfi points via power over ethernet and I have some other devices on the network switch as well

I use the Unifi as my wifi points due to the sizeof the area I have a few of them to give good coverage @Dan_the_Van thank you very much for your help have got it all set up and working on the tp link router new I was missing something simple thanks

I wanted it set up and working in the tpink for the openVPN for when I need to. Get back to my network when on the move and the hub 2 would just not keep the static local IPs I set will get the hub 2 as an spare router know.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@tazfan good it's now working, what setting did you miss?

Hub Two DHCP server is not the best and can be diffficult to assign a fixed IP Address. What is really annoying about it is the IP Addresses are allocated in a random order not sequentually which would make more sense.

Dan.

tazfan
Dabbler

@Dan_the_Van
It was using the wireless router mode to let me use the login setting I needed that you pointed out in your last post yes, that is what I did not like about it, I like to static IP a few things my nas my two main computers and my printer and wifi units
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Router 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'