cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from BT - Stick with BT Discs or new Mesh?

FIXED
idkershaw1

Switching from BT - Stick with BT Discs or new Mesh?

My new router arrived today ready for switching next week to Unlimited Fibre Extra.

I have a BT Smart Hub 2 and use 2 discs to extend the wifi out to a garden office.

My question is should I try to reconfigure the existing BT kit to work with PN (and where's the best source of current info for this) or add something like the Deco M5 to the PN router?

Thanks in advance for your guidance and advice, cheers

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Switching from BT - Stick with BT Discs or new Mesh?

@idkershaw1  Welcome to the Community Forums.

You can’t configure the BT mesh satellites to work with your Plusnet hub, the necessary firmware is not installed on the Plusnet version. You can configure a BT Smarthub to work with your Plusnet service. See. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Plusnet-router-won-t-work-to-my-old-Bt-home-hub-extender/m-p...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

idkershaw1

@Baldrick1 thanks for the welcome and the link.

If I change the username in the BT Hub setup to my new PN account (after unplugging from the BT Socket etc) will the two discs also need re-adding to the hub or will they all be found and connect automatically as currently?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Fix

@idkershaw1

If the set up is working then they should not need touching. Be aware that BT might charge if you do not return their equipment.

The only downside of using the BT Smarthub is that under some rare fault conditions that trigger the Smarthub to factory reset it will lose the Plusnet configuration and will need set up again. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

idkershaw1

Thanks again, been with BT since before 2019 and their email says I only need return or get charged if I joined afterwards so I hope not to.