cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Wifi keeps dropping out

JoyceMac
Dabbler

I am having the same problem the wifi drops out and when I try to reconnect it won’t accept the password says it’s incorrect.  The only way to fix it is to turn the router off and restart it.  Although I have been with Plusnet for many years my router is fairly new 2704N as it was replaced within the last year.  All the lights are lit when this drop out happens and even standing right next to the router I can’t connect either my iPhone or my iPad.  Any advice would be appreciated.  This is a regular occurrence and is driving me crazy.

22 REPLIES 22
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@JoyceMac You would have been better starting a new topic as this one is quite old now - but I will make a suggestion which will possibly correct the error - completely power down the offending equipment, leave it off for at least 30 minutes, and then restart it.

If that fails, 'Forget' your network on them, switch off for two or three minutes and then re-authenticate.

John
JoyceMac
Dabbler

Thanks I’ll try that I’m a new user of the forum and couldn’t work out how to start a new thread so tacked my question on to this one.

JoyceMac
Dabbler

When you say offending equipment do you mean the router as I have tried switching off both phone and iPad at different times and it made no difference they still wouldn’t reconnect after powering them up again.

jab1
Legend

OK - in future, you will find a pink 'Start a topic' tab at the top of each board.

John
jab1
Legend

@JoyceMac wrote:

When you say offending equipment do you mean the router as I have tried switching off both phone and iPad at different times and it made no difference they still wouldn’t reconnect after powering them up again.

No, I did mean the phone/pad, but I am now wondering if it is your connection itself which is at fault. How long have you been a Plusnet customer, and when did this problem start. Also - do you have a desktop/laptop in case we ask for some extra details? - it is difficult to provide them over tablets/phones sometimes.

John
JoyceMac
Dabbler

I have been a Plusnet customer for quite a number of years more than 6 but can’t be exact.  Yes I have a desktop too.  The problem started probably 4 or 5 months ago I think but it’s intermittent but seems to getting more frequent but that maybe because it is irritating me more these days.  Probably not as much as daily but multiple times a week.

jab1
Legend

OK. That is helpful information and slightly changes my thoughts. The issue now seems more likely to be your internet connection, rather than the Apple devices themselves. Do you have similar issues on the desktop?

Genuine question, so I can ask the questions in a manner you understand - how computer literate are you?

I may not get back to you tonight, but will be around early tomorrow morning.

John
JoyceMac
Dabbler

Yes I use the desktop less often but have had the same problem with it on occasion.  Not completely illiterate but definitely not well versed. Tonight I have changed the channel on my router from Auto to a different channel which the Plusnet help seems to suggest.  Do you think that might help.  I haven’t changed the router location since I first had a router nor changed any of the surrounding equipment apart from replacing one canon wifi printer with a new one so the location shouldn’t be the problem.  I am not surrounded by other properties so it shouldn’t be interference from other networks another Plusnet suggestion. Many thanks for your help with this.

jab1
Legend

OK, thanks. I'm not sure the channel change will help, if as you say you are not surrounded by other properties. I have one or two things to do before bed tonight, so will be back tomorrow morning with further suggestions, unless anyone else jumps in first. Smiley

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

Post split into new topic for better visibility and to help staff

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jab1
Legend

@JoyceMac I'll take this one step at a time. Is it possible - on the desktop - to take screenshot of your 'Help Desk' tab and post it?

John
JoyceMac
Dabbler

Not really sure what you mean by ‘help desk’ tab
jab1
Legend

Good morning. Sorry, I forget not everyone understands the workings of routers. If you log into the router, I think (because I have never used one), you should get something like the picture below:-

Hub1.PNG

If you click the 'Troubleshooting' tab, it should open a page headed something like 'If you call, the advisor may ask for these details' - that is what I am talking about.

John
JoyceMac
Dabbler

Help Desk.JPG