cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential STP (spanning tree) problem with Hub 2 when playing with some wirelessly connected devices

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

Re: Potential STP (spanning tree) problem with Hub 2 when playing with some wirelessly connected dev

@greygit FTTPoD is a totally different method of supply to FTTP - it involves providing you - as an individual EU - with a direct fibre connection and is extremely expensive, both in installation and monthly costs. There is no 'wriggle clause' associated with it - you get the speed,  at a cost which is prohibitive for a private individual.

John
markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Potential STP (spanning tree) problem with Hub 2 when playing with some wirelessly connected dev

@jab1 yes, the VDSL speeds available are not very high. My ADSL was (from memory) 9Mb/s down and 0.5Mb/s up so similar to the impacted and it was uplink saturation that seemed to be the problem.

For me, getting rid of anything that did cloud sync fixed it and I could finally overcome the problem with VDSL.

For @greygit, what I was exploring (but never finally implemented) was using a Draytek router and rate limiting the device.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-session-limit

To do this allocate a reserved IP address to each device, have a look at usage using the device traffic graphs and set figures that stop each device "stealing" all the uplink. 

I'm fairly sure that some other routers will have similar capability although now a suitable Draytek seems to be a few 10's of pounds second hand.

I am the satisfied customer....
greygit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The local device that caused the original problem has been replaced/upgraded. New hardware, same SIM.

And sweetness, light and semi-harmony was restored. The replacement device is acting as I would anticipate (uses more down than up, as opposed to using more up than down).

Which sort-of backs up my suspicions that there was something 'rogue' on the device.

The device is isolated and not currently connected to any network (powered down). Which gives someone(s) an opportunity. The original supplier doesn't want the unit back for recycling...

greygit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

But, but, but... there were people saying that oD install can be under 5 figures - or even 3 figures (and with no mention of on-going monthly costs). Which is why I started thinking down contractual wriggles. If it sounds too good, there must be a catch...

You've just reset my expectations back to where I thought they should be. Given I know where the most 'local' fibre is installed and having a general understanding of the cost of groundworks, etc. (kerching).

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

@greygit wrote:

BT's assessment of the line attached. I'd anticipate that my line is assessed by BT as 'impacted'.

FTTPoD is apparently available, but FTTP is not available. That's interesting. The nearest fibre install is measured in miles. I suspect there's a wriggle clause or three that BT know about when it comes to FTTPoD,

FTTPoD is a totally different product and you would be looking at a minimum of £16k and a long wait for it to be done.

Not many ISP's offering it either, Cerberus is one of the only ones left. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'