cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet router won’t work to my old Bt home hub extender

Alva1960

Plusnet router won’t work to my old Bt home hub extender

I was on Bt before and I thought the Plusnet homehub 2 which looks exactly the same would work. I have done a factory reset on the Bt disc extender and it still won’t work any help to get it to work would be great
15 REPLIES 15
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: Plusnet router won’t work to my old Bt home hub extender

Is it a black disc, or white?

The black discs only work to a BT SmartHub - not a Plusnet one. The firmware is different in the two hubs.

If you still have the BT hub, (and haven't already returned it to them), it is fairly easy to re-configure it to work on Plusnet, and the black disc should also then work.

Alva1960

I still have all the BT KIT and would like to configure it any instructions would be great
Alva1960

It’s the black one
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@Alva1960 

There are some instructions somewhere on these forums, but IIRC it is this:

1.) Connect up the BT SmartHub again, (power and ethernet connectors etc), but NOT the telephone line and power it on.

2.) Once it has fully booted up, (leave it for a few minutes as it won't connect to broadband initially - probably keep flashing orange indefinitely?).

3.) In a web browser on a device connected to the BT Hub by either WiFi or ethernet, go to 192.168.1.254

4.) You should now be at the BT Hub's homepage.

5.) The next bit I am guessing slightly as I don't have a BT Hub connected to look at:

6.) Click on "Advanced" then "Broadband". You may need the Hub's management password, which is printed on the back and the slide out card. This is different from the WiFi password.

7.) Change "Broadband Username" to (Your Plusnet Username)@plusdsl.net

8.) Change "Password" to the same password that you use to log in to the Plusnet Member Centre, (not these forums).

9.) Save both these changes  and plug the telephone line back in to the Hub.

The hub should then connect to your Plusnet broadband, (blue light). If it doesn't within a few minutes, then power it off for a couple of minutes and then restart it.

Once this is working, you should then be able to reconnect your black disc.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Alva1960 

The full instructions are pinned at the top of this board ( https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...). In your case all that you need to do with the original set up is 

1 disconnect the DSL lead (This is essential)

2. Log in to the Smarthub Advanced Settings.

3. Select ‘Broadband’ then select ‘Edit Broadband Username’. Insert the username you use to access your Plusnet account followed by @plusdsl.net

4. Enter the Password you use to access your Plusnet account.

Save and plug the DSL lead back in.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@Alva1960 

Have BT not asked for their kit back. They charge nowadays for unreturned stuff.

Brian

Alva1960

Do I need some sort of terminal emulator like notepad or hyper terminal to do this as I think I changed the password on the homehub2 quiet a while back
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

No special software required- just an ordinary Web browser.
If you factory reset the BT hub before you start, (push the recessed button next to the power switch until the light on the front changes colour), then all passwords will restore to default.
Alva1960

Hi all thanks for all your help I cannot find the smart setup on the web page when I log into the ip address . When I change to the Plusnet bb user name it defaults back to the Bt homehub it’s very frustrating
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

Have you disconnected the dsl lead ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alva1960

Yes I still have the white home hub connected to the network. Should both be disconnected?
Alva1960

The Bt homehub 2 is flashing purple I have done a full factory reset and changed the admin to a password I know but cannot edit the bb username when I rest username it goes back to Bt default
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Alva1960 

There must be no dsl connection to your network whilst you change the log in credentials. Unplug the dsl at the master socket whilst you change and save the settings. 
Then swap the hubs, don’t leave the Plusnet hub connected whilst making the changes.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alva1960

Hi i have exhausted trying to edit the default password on the BT homehub 2.Is there another wifi extender THAT Works to the plusnet homehub2.I need it as my Ring video camera at the rear of the house will not connect up due to the walls etc.

Thanks