Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub Two router

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Plusnet Hub Two router

Got my new Plusnet Hub Two router on Saturday. OK it connected easily enough and works as it is supposed to, but the news gets worse from there.

It seems to be all locked down and can only be fiddled with, such as it can be, via the router webpage. So far it seems not to have any identifiable network name, unlike my old Technicolor TG582n router, which can be easily pinged as:

ping router --> router.lan
ping dsldevice --> dsldevice.lan

As apparently Telnet is not available on the Hub Two (Oh dear!), what does that mean for software used to access the Hub Two router for network performance measurement and diagnosis? e.g. Such as DSLstats, RouterStats. Is there any such program that will work with the Hub Two?

And it uses 50% more electrical power as the TG582n!

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Plusnet Hub Two router

@pvmb wrote:

Got my new Plusnet Hub Two router on Saturday. OK it connected easily enough and works as it is supposed to, ....

That is all that the vast majority of Plusnet customers require. Fortunately you are not constrained from buying your own device with all the bells and whistles that you require/can afford. Settings are here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/
Maybe comparing the specifications of the two side by side might help your understanding regarding the difference in power requirements?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Just discovered that the Plusnet Hub Two has a full netname of: PLUSNETHUBTWO (Who'd a thunk it?)

Fortunately it also goes by the shorter name "hub".

ping hub

Pinging hub.home [192.168.1.254]

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@pvmb wrote:

Got my new Plusnet Hub Two router on Saturday. OK it connected easily enough and works as it is supposed to, ....

That is all that the vast majority of Plusnet customers require. Fortunately you are not constrained from buying your own device with all the bells and whistles that you require/can afford. Settings are here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

OK. But why lock it down? If it works just fine for the majority, no problem. The majority will be happy and not bothered about other issues. But why stop those who may want to explore the little extras the majority won't be interested in?

These extras could even be left off the router's user web interface - if you are worried about users messing up - but available via the CLI for people who Telnet in to the router.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes I know, make it simple for the people who don't care less and want a couple pf devices working well. In this day and age it'll be 2-3 physical devices and a few mobiles. Wireless working and one physical connection.

I am sure someone will find a workaround with that device now.

PlusNet (like BT) seem to like 2 year contracts now, so I suspect it makes it more difficult to move.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

The development of routerstats and dslstats stopped sometime ago so most modern xDSL routers will not be supported

This thread might help  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Monitoring-Hub-two-line-stats/m-p/1871416 

You could always buy your own xDSL router if you want to have more control.

Dan

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@pvmb wrote

OK. But why lock it down? If it works just fine for the majority, no problem. The majority will be happy and not bothered about other issues. But why stop those who may want to explore the little extras the majority won't be interested in?

Simply because people fiddle with settings then complain that it no longer works. This takes up support resources. The obvious solution is to tell the caller to factory reset the hub, which invariably results in more complaints that custom settings have been lost. For the minority who want to fiddle it’s far better that they get their own third party hub.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'