cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub 2 wifi 5ghz speed capped at ~100mbps

FIXED
MartinJ

Plusnet Hub 2 wifi 5ghz speed capped at ~100mbps

My new Plusnet hub 2 5ghz band seems too be capped at around 100mbps .. Transmit link at 866mbps but iperf3 test shows ~95mbps..
2.4Ghz band is disabled.

I get ~950mbps with wired iperf3 test

Anyone has experienced that? Is my hub faulty
? Old hub one was getting 300mbps +, so I would expect at least similar performance
6 REPLIES 6
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Plusnet Hub 2 wifi 5ghz speed capped at ~100mbps

Are those iperf tests reflective of the results from an online speed test when run from a WiFi connected device?

What are you running iperf from and to?

Results seem suspiciously close to what I would expect if there were a 10/100 ethernet port in the mix somewhere. You're not using Powerline Wi-Fi extenders are you?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MartinJ

Hi thanks, I'm on Full Fibre 76 so unable to check if thats reflected in online tests. This issue obviously does not affect online speeds but its issue nonetheless. I do loads of backups to NAS from various devices and stream from NAS to TV.

Dockerized Iperf server is on my NAS and I run tests from multiple devices both wired and wireless.. All wired ones give me gigabit speeds 950mbps + ,where all WiFi clients only around 95mbps.. Even when standing next to router. This is on 5Ghz band as 2.4Ghz is disabled.

Setup : Openreach modem=>hub 2=>8port switch=>NAS

There is gigabit powerline adapter connected to switch and 100Mbps raspberry pi but I don't see why would this matter at all. Other devices Wired to switch report correct gigabit speeds with iperf.

This surely is smth to do with WiFi or router firmware config imo
What's weird that devices report link at higher speeds but then actually sending data ,traffic seems to be capped..
MartinJ

OK I just realised switch indicates 100mbps connection to Hub.. Thats explains everything

Other devices go directly thru gigabit switch so all is good when, WiFi client group thru 100mbps link..

Not sure why link is not gigabit.. I was under impression all ports in hub2 should be.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

Fix
All my hub2 ports are gigabit. Have you tried swapping the cable?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MartinJ

Yes indeed brand new cat.5e cable supplied with Plusnet hub 2 was at fault.

I'm testing 350Mbps now on 866/866link.
PS still somehow dissapointing (similar to Hub one)

Anyway thanks for help. Somehow I assumed it was raspberrybpi port showing 100 link when in fact it was HuB and missed this obvious sign. O_O
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Glad to hear it's sorted.
~350mbps is in the ball park I'd expect for a 2x2 Wi-Fi5 link.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵