cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub 2 and TP-Link

ktk8

Plusnet Hub 2 and TP-Link

Hi, I have just received a Plusnet Hub 2, and am trying to set up my ethernet connections using an old TP-Link TL-SF1005. I'm guessing that the Plusnet hub is not recognising the TP link, as no signal is getting through. Could anyone point me to what I'm doing wrong, please? Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

Re: Plusnet Hub 2 and TP-Link

Hi @ktk8 welcome to the forum,

That switch should work, make sure you plug it into LAN 1,2 or 3 NOT the red WAN port.

HTH

ktk8

Hi Dan, Thanks for the reply Smiley

The ethernet connection works without the TP Link, but not with it. It's not plugged in the WAN port. We had a thunderstorm take out the previous router, and I'm wondering if it affected the TP link as well, although it still has a selection of green lights.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

It could have also suffered from the thunderstorm, I've got one of those switches, but will admit not ever connecting it to my Hub Two. The green light should be on for an active connection, but I suspect you already know that.

There have been instances of the Hub Two not working with some 1000Mbps network cards (think it was Xbox), it could be a speed auto negotiate issue between the two devices.

You might want to buy a new switch which supports 1000Mbps connection to take advantage of the improved LAN speed of the Hub.

Dan.

ktk8

Thanks, Dan. I think the answer is probably just to try a new up-to-date switch, whatever the reason for it not working. After all, the old TP link is about 10 years old, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's not quite the ticket any more!

Any recommendations for a new cheap switch gratefully received Smiley

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, I was looking for a 5 port gigabit switch to replace SF1005D a few weeks ago.

Amazon sell cheap n cheerful plastic TPlink LS1005G.

Your local Argos may have stock of metal cased TPlink TL-SG105 for under 13 quid if you can't wait for delivery.  According to google, it is same as TL-SG105S apart from colour of metal case.

If you want one that has status LEDs which can tell you whether the ethernet connection is 100Mb or 1Gb too, Amazon offer the metal cased Linksys LGS105 v2.  I purchased one to try.   It was cheaper than the Netgear GS105.

As for 8 port models,  the cheapest is plastic LS1008G.  The metal TL-SG108 has previously been as low as 17 quid.  The metal Netgear GS305 is under 20 quid.  All from Amazon. 

I purchased a pair of metal cased Netgear GS108 v4 earlier this year, the ethernet port on one of them suddenly stopped working in 1Gb mode shortly after delivery, so had to be replaced.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
ktk8

Hi Bill, Many thanks for sharing your research. Really helpful, and saved me a lot of screen squinting Smiley  Am going to give the TL-SG105S a go...