cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus Net Hub One - devices connected to 5Ghz cannot talk to a device on the 2.4GHz network

jimmhurr
Hooked

Plus Net Hub One - devices connected to 5Ghz cannot talk to a device on the 2.4GHz network

Posting on behalf of my father. He has a Hub One and has a printer connected via wifi that always uses the 2.4GHz network. Up until now the two desktop PCs in the house (connected to the hub one via wired ethernet) can happily print no problem.

However, I have just introduced a Dell Latitude laptop to the network, connecting over wireless. After a lot of hair pulling, it appears that when the laptop is connected using the 5Ghz wifi network, it cannot see the printer at all (cannot print, cannot load the printer's web interface etc), and as soon as the laptop switches to the 2.4GHz network, the problems go away (prints fine etc). The laptop will choose the best network itself , I guess according to proximity.

At the moment, the 2.4 and 5GHz networks are on the same SSID and I'd prefer to keep it that way. I know that the Hub One has had a lot of issues with 5GHz, but this problem appears to be new or at least I haven't found anyone with that issue. The hub is relatively old (2021 I believe) and hasn't had a firmware upgrade for a while.

I have not tried putting the printer on a wired connection to see if that allows the device on the 5GHz network to talk to it and I'm trying to avoid that as it would require new wiring through walls, but other than that or putting the laptop on a wired connection (which defeats the object of a laptop) does anyone have any pearls? I suppose I could also disable the 5GHz network, but that seems a bit heavy handed. perhaps a firmware upgrade may fix it?

4 REPLIES 4
Archer
Grafter

Re: Plus Net Hub One - devices connected to 5Ghz cannot talk to a device on the 2.4GHz network

I had this issue. However, after supplying my hub one's serial number to PN on this forum it updated and the issue disappeared. The firmware is now dated 6/23. Hope that's useful.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 82

Re: Plus Net Hub One - devices connected to 5Ghz cannot talk to a device on the 2.4GHz network

@Archer 

You need to be careful how you determine the version number release date. From >Troubleshooting >Help desk 

3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3 Last updated 30/11/21

"Last updated" is the date when the Hub One had the software version applied, NOT the date of the firmware version

I believe "4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3" is the current release.

jimmhurr
Hooked

Thanks for both of your replies.

I checked my father's router firmware via the Troubleshooting > Helpdesk page and it appears to be the latest according to https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/PN-Hub-Latest-Firmware-Versions/td-p/1864745:

3. Firmware version:

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3 Last updated 14/12/21

Looks like this is a new issue, or is an issue that has always existed but has never gained enough traction to be fixed.

Looking further, it appears that devices on the 5GHz network cannot see anything on the network at all, i.e. you cannot even browse to the router's IP address and load the portal, so the problem is not related to the fact that that printer is on the 2.4GHz network. It seems that the 5GHz network is entirely isolated.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 82

The Hub One could be faulty, I take it you've done the usual reboot?

A factory reset might clear the issue, but this would clear down any personalised configuration you have done or if you're happy to just turn off 5GHz.

Are you close to renewing your contract, you could request a Hub two as part of the upgrade.