Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Hub One end of life? No firmware upgrades for over 18 months

FIXED
puffin67
Hooked

Is the Hub One end of life? No firmware upgrades for over 18 months

My Router reports it is a "Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3 | Last updated 23/11/21"

More than 18 months is a very long time in a world with ever emerging threats and vulnerabilities - does this mean that the Hub One is end of life and not getting security patches from PlusNet?

4 REPLIES 4
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

Re: Is the Hub One end of life? No firmware upgrades for over 18 months

@puffin67 The Hub1 is superseded by the Hub2, so will not receive any further updates - UNLESS a true security vulnerability is proven, in which case an update will be provided. Most router updates are enhancements, not security related. When did you last here of a major Hub/router security issue.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@puffin67 

Just because a.product design is mature, it doesn’t mean that it’s vulnerable to emerging threats. The hub one has been superseded with the hub two, which is available for the P&P charge when you renew your contract. However, that does not mean that the hub one is no longer fit for purpose.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fix

@puffin67  despite being myself a rather extreme user of over-the-top router hardware and software for use on my home network, and update firmware on all my equipment weekly, I agree with the previous replies. 

Over the years, so many people on this forum have contributed to pointing out any possible failings in the Hub One firmware, that it is unlikely that there are any remaining glaring 'security' issues that haven't already been fixed.

If the Hub One does everything you require of it, then it will be fine until it eventually fails, or your needs change, or some new broadband technology replaces your current internet connection.

You could check for yourself that your router is functioning and relatively secure by doing some simple tests -

Go to https://www.grc.com , under the <Services> button, click on "ShieldsUP!", then click on the <Proceed> button.

From that page, click on the <All Service Ports> button, let the firewall test run, then read the results and recommendations.

Again, go to https://www.grc.com , under the <Services> button, click on "ShieldsUP!", then click on the <Proceed> button.

this time click on the <Instant UPnP Exposure Test>, and check that UPnP isn't compromised.

puffin67
Hooked

Thanks @Anonymous  for the advice, and link to the grc site, which returned perfect (i.e. absolutely no) results from my router Smiley