cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
DanSian

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Bob, could you kindly push the firmware update for me please? Much appreciated!
NX1977
Hooked

Is anyone on the test firmware experiencing lag on devices connected to 5ghz?  Webpages are most noticeable. 

If I bin 5ghz, everything is fine again. @bobpullen

Chris123
Hooked

After a few weeks of uninterrupted 5GHz joy since the firmware update, today I am unable to connect to it, and can only get on the 2.4GHz, but this is showing 20 to 25 Mbps. Hopefully this is a temporary issue with the line at my end and not a wider Plusnet issue

sallonoroff
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@bobpullen wrote:

@sallonoroff @markangeltruema, your devices have been updated now. They'll both have rebooted so apologies if you were in the middle of anything.

Thanks @bobpullen. It restarted about 17:40 on Friday. I didn't think it was because of you at first as the "last updated" value still says March 2019, but i realised that the firmware number has changed.

Please let me know if/when you need me to do something? Or if there's anything in particular I need to report on?

purpleunicycle

@bobpullen thanks for offering to look into this.  However, I've got so fed up of the problems that I've ditched the Plusnet Hub One and replaced it with a BT Smart Hub 2.  This has fixed all the issues with WiFi and the signal quality and range is much better too.  It's a shame that Plusnet can't offer this router to it's customers like BT do, instead I had to buy one which wasn't ideal, but it's better to have found a fix to all these problems at last.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@ktmckenna would you mind doing me a favour and factory resetting your hub by inserting somethign into the pinhole at the rear until the status light flashes green? I'm having some difficulty communicating with it and I'm hoping this will help. Note that it will restore the device to factory defaults but it should automatically reconnect after a few minutes.

@DanSian I've moved your device to a testing environment to beging with to see if we can extract anything useful from it. Once we've tried, I'll look to push a temporary fix. Appreciate your patience in the meantime.

@purpleunicycle perfectly understandable, thanks for letting me know.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mpatterson
Dabbler

Just want to add that i have had a few weeks of no issues also then today 5Ghz was out again.

Possbily 21 days and lease expired but difficult to be sure.

Chris123
Hooked

@bobpullen - After reboot and the router detecting there was a 5GHz issue and bringing up a page in Chrome, things were working for a while. Now it is so poor that my VPN connection to work is dropping constantly, and the BT speed test has measured a new record low download speed of 0.00 Mbps. The upload is 3.19 and the ping is in the 20s.

Can you shed any light on this? I will try switching back to 2.4 to see if that is okay for work. This sounds more than just contention due to the start of the school holiday.

The router home page still says "Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.273 | Last updated 28/01/19".

Chris

ktmckenna

Hi, 

I have reset the router.

Regards

Geoffers3040

Hi guys,
I have been on Plusnet for a couple of months now-40mbs fibre service.
Was perfect until a couple of weeks ago but now it keeps dropping its connection every few hours. Have spoken to tech support and they have shown me how to change channels but all to no avail. I hear about 2Ghz and 5 Ghz and BT routers etc but I do not think it is for me to mess about with that. I never had to with my previous Virgin and BT systems. They say it is due to CV and people working from home etc. Surely it shouldn't be.
One last point, which may incriminate me, is that the problem occurs much more on my Lenovo laptop, about 3 years old, than on mobile phones or Sonos speakers.
What do you think?
markangeltruema
Dabbler

Beta firmware has been fine up until just now. Router just hung completely - no connectivity on 2.4 or 5ghz. Had to restart it. Not sure if it's due to the firmware or something else, but i've never had that happen before. Once my connection to the exchange is stable (one other thing in a long line of things that are just painful with plusnet at the moment), i'll be going back to my Netgear router i think.

briston
Aspiring Pro

@markangeltruema that's an interesting comment you made about your connection to the exchange. If course that's Openreach but, in my case for a long while tech support at plusnet could find nothing wrong with my line until one guy looked a bit deeper and sure enough there was. Visit from Openreach resulted in a 30% increase in line speed. But that is not the end of it. After that tech support said all was ok but it was Bob Pullen who interjected and added a graph to my open ticket to show there was still a problem.

Regarding the 5GHz problem. I have been lucky, if that's the word, to have been given a BT hub6 and configured that. I am still considering a mesh system but that's another matter.

I have made the comment that it's looking like fttc is not really a consumer product yet like a washing machine which you can plumb in and an idiot like me can use it to it's full potential. I have even been advised by plusnet that if I purchase a new modem/router to get one with a particular chipset.

They will also contribute to the cost. And yes, that's how bad it is. I have been reluctant to say what action plusnet have done to solve my problem, if you look at my posts I have said that plusnet have finally solved my problem. The solution, ditch the hub 1 but of course the line has to be good as well.
MKChris
Dabbler

Good Afternoon. I started getting 5G problems last night. rebooting the Hub One seemed to fix it . I am now getting could not authenticate the connection. 2.4g is working ok

Nevparker

@bobpullen 

Like so many others on this thread, I'm having the same issues with my Hub which may have been going on since before christmas and perhaps the lockdown has made it so much more apparent.

Devices failing to connect, devices dropping etc.  It matches very closely with the technical reports and testing other users have done.  Please could you apply the latest beta firmaware to my Hub One router too? (anytime is fine to apply that, will just be grateful to get this applied and test)

Currently running Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 14/08/19

Thanks 

Nev

mrshift

Hi Bob,

Another with the exact same 5GHz issue. I was pointed to this thread after contacting PlusNet support through Twitter. To help try resolve the issue, my responses as follows:

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? As discussed - 2.4Ghz band works fine. 100%. But after a day or two after restarting the router, no devices are able to connect to the 5GHz band because apparently the password is incorrect. (It's definitely not - it's the exact same password as the 2.4Ghz password, and I copy and paste it to eliminate human error.) The 5GHz password works for a while, and then.. doesn't.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? No, they just stop connecting to it. Laptops, mobile phones, everything. Status indicator is normal.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? Split/unsynced bands, with different names. Only affects the 5GHz band.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? Only one wired device (a Sony TV), which works fine. Once the issue starts it persists until the router is restarted. And even then it's only a temporary fix.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] Restarted the router many times, and the problem reoccurs every single time. No known specific way of triggering it at my end - just a matter of time.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Yes, and hard to say but I'm only able to use the band for a day or so.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. iPhone X (latest iOS), iPhone 5S (latest iOS), MacBook Pro, Acer laptop, Samsung/Android mobile devices.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? None that I'm aware of. Though seems unlikely due to the range of devices involved.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. PlusNet one hub, and that's about it - no additional hubs/switches, powerline adaptors, wifi extenders or WAPs. 

Hope this helps. I'd much rather resolve this than ditch the 5GHz band as the 2.4GHz channels can get busy around us.

Cheers,

Andy.